|“||Within the depths of Tartarus reside the most wretched of all the shades who linger for eternity within the Underworld, whose Lord and Master is especially unkind to those attempting to cheat death.||„|
Sisyphus is a former king sentenced to an eternity of punishment within Tartarus for attempting to cheat death. He succeeded twice, each time only temporarily before the consequences caught up with him. His punishment is to roll a boulder up a steep hill; the boulder, however, always rolls back down the hill before he reaches the top, despite his best efforts. The Furies - and Megaera in particular - torment him as he attempts to push the boulder, though with Zagreus' recent escape attempts, they appear to be slacking on this particular duty.
In spite of his never-ending punishment, Sisyphus is generally good-humoured and polite, having had ample time to reflect on his deeds in life. He refers to his boulder as "Bouldy", treating "him" as a friend and confidante, and speaks quite casually with Zagreus, whom he typically calls "Prince Z. (Zed)"
Zagreus can sometimes encounter Sisyphus taking a break from boulder-pushing while making his way through Tartarus. During these meetings, Sisyphus will offer Zagreus a choice between , 50-55 or 100 . He can only appear once during each escape attempt. Sisyphus is immune to damage, though he will respond if Zagreus takes a swing at him or Bouldy regardless.
After 6 bottles of Nectar in total, further gifts will be locked until you complete his favor.
Sisyphus' affinity gauge is maxed out at 9 hearts, requiring the gifting of 6 Nectar and 3 Ambrosia.
Sisyphus' favor is earned by voiding his sentence.
As you get to know Sisyphus, he will introduce you to Bouldy. In order to start Sisyphus' quest, you will need to be at 6 hearts with him, learned about his backstory, and to have spoken to Bouldy at least once previously (giving nectar to Bouldy is not required).
Sisyphus' liberation quest begins with this piece of dialogue from Zagreus:
- "Sisyphus, I know you tend to be in remarkably good spirits, all things considered, but there must be something I can do to help with your predicament, isn't there?"
After this you will need to have:
- Access to the Administrative Chamber (purchased through the House Contractor)
- Conversations with Megaera (who needs to be at 5 hearts) and Hades about Sisyphus' situation
- A conversation with Nyx (who must be at 5 hearts) about the Admin Chamber (which can also be triggered by advancing Orpheus and Eurydice's storyline)
- A follow-up conversation with Nyx about Sisyphus' plight, in which she tells you the location of his file in the Admin Chamber
The next conversation you have with Sisyphus will earn his favor and complete the End to Torment prophecy in the Fated List of Minor Prophecies.
After this is done, Sisyphus may be given Ambrosia the next time he is encountered in Tartarus.
For quotes and dialogue regarding Sisyphus, please refer to Sisyphus/Quotes.