|For other uses, see Stonekeeper (disambiguation)|
|For other uses, see Doctor Strange (disambiguation)|
Are you happy?"
"That's an interesting question."
"You'd think that saving the world would get you there, but it doesn't.Doctor Strange and Wong
Doctor Stephen Vincent Strange, M.D., Ph.D is a Master of the Mystic Arts. Originally being a brilliant but arrogant neurosurgeon, Strange got into a car accident which resulted with his hands becoming crippled. Once Western medicine failed him, Strange embarked on a journey to Kamar-Taj, where he was trained by the Ancient One in the ways of Magic and the Multiverse. Although he focused on healing his hands, Strange was drawn into a conflict with Kaecilius and the Zealots, who were working for Dormammu and had sought to merge Earth with the Dark Dimension to find an eternal life. Following the demise of the Ancient One and the defeat of Kaecilius, Strange then became the new protector for the Sanctum Sanctorum, seeking to defend the Earth from other inter-dimensional threats.
From his new position, Strange aided Thor in locating Odin, before he learned of Thanos' attempts to gain all of the Infinity Stones and cause a universal genocide. Since Strange was the protector of the Time Stone, he was attacked and captured by Thanos' Black Order, only for him to then be rescued by Iron Man and Spider-Man. Having also been joined by the Guardians of the Galaxy, Strange battled against Thanos. However, as Strange had seen into the future and knew his only path to victory, he had willingly handed over the Time Stone, allowing Thanos to enact the Snap, killing Strange and trillions of other lives. However, Strange and all the rest of Thanos' victims had been resurrected five years later by the Avengers, and battled against an alternate Thanos, which resulted with Iron Man sacrificing his life to save the universe.
Strange offered his aid to Spider-Man, whose identity of Peter Parker was unmasked by Mysterio, as he asked Strange to make the world forget this. However, due to Parker's interference, the spell soon went wrong, and Strange inadvertently unleashed enemies of Spider-Man from across the Multiverse. Capturing these enemies, Strange tried to use the Macchina di Kadavus to send them to their universes to meet their inevitable fates, which Spider-Man had refused to allow, hoping to give these people a chance at redemption. Having been trapped in the Mirror Dimension, Strange then returned and fought to contain the Multiversal rift. With no other choice, Strange cast a spell to return the visitors back to their universes and close the rifts, but also at the cost of making everyone, including himself, forget Parker's existence.
Being heralded of new interdimensional threats, Strange came across America Chavez, a teenager with the ability to travel through the Multiverse. While investigating these threats, Strange learned that Wanda Maximoff, who fell corrupted to the Darkhold, was responsible. As Kamar-Taj fell under attack by her, Chavez sent Strange spiraling through the multiverse, where they were eventually arrested by the Illuminati. With the help of a Palmer-counterpart, Strange and Chavez located the Darkhold's antithetical, the Book of Vishanti, only for Maximoff to destroy it and abduct Chavez, banishing Strange and Palmer to an incursioned universe. Confronting that reality's Doctor Strange, Strange claimed the Darkhold to utilize dreamwalking in order to rescue Chavez. Helping her gain full control of her powers, the two swayed Maximoff from the Darkhold's influence, before her apparent self-sacrifice to destroy all copies of the Darkhold throughout the Multiverse. In the aftermath, Strange and Wong took Chavez, who decided to stay in their universe, under their care and teach her in the Mystic Arts. Sometime later, Strange was confronted by a sorceress who enlisted his help in fixing a new incursion.
How did you get to reattach severed nerves, and put a human spine back together bone by bone?"
"Study and practice. Years of it.Ancient One and Stephen Strange
Stephen Strange was born in New York City. He had a sister named Donna, who drowned after falling into a frozen lake. Unable to save his sister, Strange decided to become a doctor to save lives. Strange went to medical school at Columbia University, and eventually graduated with an M.D. and Ph.D. at the same time, using his photographic memory to learn all of the information incredibly quickly.
Becoming A Doctor
I'm using trans-sectioned spinal cords to stimulate neurogenesis in the central nervous system. My work is at least going to save thousands for years to come.Stephen Strange to Christine Palmer
As an adult, Strange had begun specializing in neurological surgery and focusing his research on the formation of new nerve cells. Strange eventually became attracted to Christine Palmer, a fellow surgeon who had worked alongside him in the ER department of Metro-General Hospital where together they successfully invented a laminectomy procedure, something which Strange tried to take full credit for and even have named after him. The two later began a relationship; it did not last due to Strange's arrogance and his focus on his career, but the two continued to work with each other and remained friends, with Palmer even gifting him a watch.
In 2014, Strange was deemed a potential threat to HYDRA, whose intent was to deploy Zola's Algorithm and eliminate the threats from the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarriers. Thanks to the efforts of Steve Rogers, Natasha Romanoff, and Sam Wilson who thwarted HYDRA's plan during the Battle at the Triskelion, Strange survived. By 2016, he was one of the top surgeons in New York City, being scheduled on discussing life-saving techniques on an interview with WHiH World News. However, Strange became more egotistical as his skills and craft increased.
Top of the World
Now's not the time for showing off, Strange."
"How about ten minutes ago when you called the wrong time of death?Nicodemus West and Stephen Strange
On February 2nd, 2016, continuing his neurosurgeon career, Strange performed another operation while at Metro-General Hospital, where he had watched a team of students who were all taking notes. While he was operating, Strange requested Billy to play music and have Strange use his impressive memory to guess the song, artist and year it had been released, which he was able to do each time, much to the great frustration of Billy and all of the other nurses.
Once he had completed yet another successful surgery, Strange was asked by his friend Christine Palmer to help with a patient who had been shot in a firefight. Leaving his nurses to finish with the operation without him, Strange met with Palmer outside the operating room where she presented the x-ray of her patient. While Strange joked that clearly, the issue she was having was that the patient had a bullet inside his head, Strange suddenly realized there was something wrong.
Despite Nicodemus West's objections, who wanted to start recovering the patient's organs immediately, Strange found a perfectly intact bullet and realized that it had been hardened by a poison that caused the patient to fail reflexes tests and enter a death-like state. Realizing Doctor West misdiagnosed brain death in the patient, Strange and Palmer rushed to stop West and prepared to perform immediate surgery to try and remove the bullet.
Although West requested to assist Strange in the operation, he refused the offer and instead told Palmer to come to assist him. As the operation went underway, Palmer thanked Strange for believing her. He prepared to remove the bullet freehand without the use of a machine, as there was such little time. Demanding absolute silence, which included West being told to cover his watch, Strange eventually managed to find and remove the bullet.
Immediately following the successful surgery, Palmer questioned if Strange really needed to humiliate West in front of all of the other doctors, although Strange confidently noted that he did not have to save West's own patient either, but sometimes he just could not help himself. When Palmer continued to defend West and called him a great doctor, Strange asked Palmer if she and West were sleeping together, claiming that the mere concept disgusted him. Palmer then denied the accusation, stating it was against the "Strange Policy," a policy against dating coworkers, which she named after him, which still pleased Strange to have something named after him.
They briefly discussed the laminectomy procedure they had invented together, with Strange still complaining that it had not been named after him yet. Strange proceeded to tell Palmer that he was set to speak at an American Neurological Association dinner later that night and invited her to accompany him. Palmer declined, stating that she never enjoyed going to speaking engagements and that the reason he went was that it boosted his already absurdly large ego.
Fall From Grace
Give your body time to heal."
"You've ruined me...Nicodemus West and Stephen Strange
The same day, despite the rejection from Christine Palmer, Strange prepared himself to attend the dinner alone, going through his apartment to put on a new tux and pick the perfect watch to wear, one that was gifted to him by Palmer while they were in a relationship. Now dressed and ready to go, Strange got into his sports car and drove through New York City at high speed with little regard for his safety.
While en route to the dinner, Strange received a phone call from his colleague Billy, who had come across three new potential surgeries, including a thirty-five-year-old Air Force colonel who had crushed his lower spine in some kind of experimental armor and a sixty-eight-year-old woman with an advanced brain stem glioma. After turning down the first two which he deemed below him, Strange eventually showed interest in a schizophrenic who had been struck by lightning.
As Strange took his eyes off the road to view the patient's records, becoming interested in the x-ray Billy had sent him, he collided with another car. Unable to do anything to save himself, Strange's hands were crushed beyond repair by the impact, all while his car flew straight off the road before crashing into a nearby river bank. Trapped in the wreckage of the car, Strange lay in utter agony and eventually lost consciousness.
Having eventually been found in the wreckage of his own car after a desperate search, Strange was immediately rushed to Metro-General Hospital and underwent a surgery that lasted eleven hours, overseen by Palmer and Nicodemus West. Although his life had been saved due to the emergency surgery, both of Strange's hands had now suffered permanent nerve damage which had forced West to use eleven stainless steel pins inside of the bones.
When Strange woke up the following day while in his hospital bed, he found Palmer waiting by his side. As he looked in horror, Strange discovered that his hands were terribly scarred and learned from Palmer that both of his hands, which were crushed during the crash, suffered severe nerve damage and were rendered inoperable. When Palmer insisted that nobody else could have done a better job for him, Strange still insisted that he could have done better.
Searching For A Cure
Pass the stent under the brachial artery under the radial artery."
"It's possible. Experimental, and expensive, but possible."
"All I need is possible.Stephen Strange and Medical Board Member
Eventually, Strange's bandages on his hands were removed and he finally attempted simply to part all his fingers, however, this proved almost impossible due to the pain it caused and the amount his hands shook. Nicodemus West advised Strange to allow his body to heal, but Strange then furiously accused West of ruining his body and his career as a neurosurgeon.
Upon being released from Metro-General Hospital, Strange focused his efforts on finding a way to cure his own hands, pushing for new experimental treatments. Strange had soon spent most of his money on seven different operations as well as numerous other rehabilitation techniques, but all soon proved to be unsuccessful. With each new attempt, he was forced to sell up his lavish lifestyle and belongings to fund the operations, leaving him with little left to his name.
While undergoing his physical therapy, Strange was instructed to open his fingers using a brace, something he still found to be almost impossible to do without causing himself great pain. While Strange complained to his physical therapist about how unlikely it was that he would ever fix this nerve damage, the therapist gave an example of one patient he had treated who had seemingly cured himself of a paralyzed spine, which Strange refused to believe was possible.
One day while in his Apartment, Strange was on a video call with a doctor who stated that he cannot help him and turned him down, angering him to where he threw his tablet across the room. While Strange was still fuming, Christine Palmer came to his apartment trying to convince him to stop wasting all his money on his hands, as well as telling him to move on by assuring him that there were other ways to save lives and live his own to the fullest with her help.
Strange did not want to move on but find a way to restore his hands so he could return to his former life as a neurosurgeon, claiming there was an experimental procedure in Tokyo he wished to try as it could be an opportunity to fix his hands and return to his life. Becoming more frustrated and angry, Strange then lashed out at Palmer by stating that she is only pitying him because she loved a sob story which Strange saw himself as. This hurt Palmer who then demanded that he apologize, but he refused, stating that she should leave.
Palmer left him and walked out of his life, leaving the now alone and frustrated Strange to look out over New York City and consider all the decisions he had made and what he was going to do next. While he was picking up the papers he had thrown on the ground in a rage, Strange eventually found a letter from his physical therapist with the documents on Jonathan Pangborn, the paraplegic who had regained the ability to walk again, which seemed to confirm his story.
When the instructor sent him Pangborn's file, Strange tracked him down and found him playing a game of basketball with his friends, seemingly in top physical condition. Despite his initial reluctance due to Strange having refused to take him as a patient before, Pangborn agreed to help when Strange revealed his damaged hands. Pangborn told Strange the source of his healing, leading him to Kamar-Taj and the Ancient One, and wishing him good luck on his quest.
Trained in Magic
Meeting the Ancient One
I reject it because I do not believe in fairy tales about chakras or energy or the power of belief. There is no such thing as spirit! We are made of matter and nothing more. You're just another tiny, momentary speck within an indifferent universe."
"You think too little of yourself."
"Oh, you think you see through me, do you? Well, you don't!Stephen Strange and Ancient One
Spending the last of his money on a ticket to Nepal, Strange began his search for Kamar-Taj. Without any knowledge of where it was located or even what Kamar-Taj was, Strange resorted to simply asking any person he passed if they could give him the information. While walking through the back streets, Strange encountered a hurt dog and decided to stop and give it a makeshift bandage for his leg, joking he would be charging the dog for the treatment.
He was then cornered in an alley by three thugs who attempted to rob him, despite Strange insisting that he did not have any money. The thugs demanded his expensive watch, which Strange refused as it was a gift from Christine Palmer, so he tried to defend himself only to be beaten up by the thugs. However, Strange was rescued by Karl Mordo, a student of the Ancient One who promised to bring him to Kamar-Taj as Strange had wanted.
Mordo led Strange into Kamar-Taj, which was not the mystic location he was expected as he joked about it. Mordo warned him not to be disrespectful and to forget everything he thought he knew. Inside, Strange initially mistook an elderly man for the Ancient One before he was introduced to the true Sorcerer Supreme, who presented him with tea and welcomed him to their world. Strange began asking how she helped Jonathan Pangborn to heal his broken body.
At first, Strange believed they were researching cell regeneration but quickly became skeptical of her methods of curing Pangborn as she claimed she and the Masters of the Mystic Arts had healed Pangborn through his spirit. Strange became angry, declaring that she was now wasting his time, noting that he had spent all his money to find her and cure his hands, claiming that he saw through her lies, before she then pushed his astral form out his body to present him with his first experience of the Astral Dimension, much to Strange's horror.
Strange was shocked but denied what just happened, thinking he had been drugged, although the Ancient One insisted all she gave him was tea with a little honey, which Strange doubted. Seeking to show him more of what she could offer, the Ancient One then sent Strange through the Multiverse, showing him the various realities before dragging him back when Mordo claimed that his heart rate was spiking, although the Ancient One said he was fine.
Strange was sent back through the Multiverse where he was told that the reality he knew was simply one of many. The Ancient One spoke to him while he was still being flung across all the different realities, challenging him to open his eyes to these possibilities while he had visions of the Quantum Realm as well as the Dark Dimension, seeing a glance of the terrifying Dormammu. The Ancient One made Strange question who he was within this multiverse, while he encountered sights and senses beyond his wildest imaginations.
Having experienced something was unexplainable, Strange was then back into the room within Kamar-Taj where he fell to the feet of the Ancient One, to questioned if he had ever had an experience like that in a gift shop. Barely recovering from the revelations shown to him, Strange remained on his knees and begged her to teach him how to do this, but she refused and then had him cast out because of his previous disrespect towards her and their ways.
Thrown out on to the streets of Nepal, Strange was unable to stop the Masters of the Mystic Arts from locking the door behind them and trapping him outside. Seeing this as his last chance, Strange charged back at the door and screamed out at the Ancient One and Mordo to please let him back inside. Strange then spent the next five hours banging on the door and begging to be let back inside until finally, Mordo had changed the Ancient One's mind.
Once back inside, Strange was shown into his room by Mordo who advised Strange to use his time to rest and meditate until the Ancient One had called for him in the morning. When Strange was handed a piece of paper reading Shamballa, he questioned if this was now his mantra, to which Mordo explained that it was their Wi-Fi password. Once alone, Strange removed his now broken watch and read the message Christine Palmer had engraved on the back.
Even if my fingers could do that, my hands would just be waving in the air. I mean, how do I get from here to there?Doctor Strange to Ancient One
The next morning, Strange sat down with the Ancient One who began to explain how the Masters of the Mystic Arts drew their power from other dimensions within the Multiverse which allowed them to shape reality, explaining how Jonathan Pangborn used his magic to move his body, and that she planned for Strange to learn how to do the same with his hands. When Strange asked how he could gain these new skills with his damaged hands, the Ancient One compared it to Strange's studies to become a world-renowned doctor.
Seeking to better his understanding, Strange went to the library to take out several books on the concept of magic. There, he met the librarian Wong, who Strange began mocking for his refusal to smile and his single name, comparing him to Adele and Eminem. As Wong expressed his great surprise that Strange had read so many complex books on the Mystic Arts, he invited him to a deeper section of the library to study some of the more detailed books, with Strange questioning how Kamar-Taj worked in terms of knowledge.
Strange then asked if he could read the Book of Cagliostro, to which Wong said that while no knowledge was off limits in Kamar-Taj, some was too dangerous for a new student like he currently was and therefore Strange was not permitted to read it. Strange noted how the book was missing a page, Wong explained that the previous Kamar-Taj Librarian had been killed by Kaecilius and his Zealots before Wong threatened Strange not to take books without permission, to which Strange simply teased him, questioning the punishment for late fees, before returning back to his room to continue studying.
Mastering the Sling Ring
I control it by surrendering control? That doesn't make any sense."
"Not everything does. Not everything has to. Your intellect has taken you far in life. But it will take you no further. Surrender, Stephen. Silence your ego and your power will rise.Stephen Strange and Ancient One
Strange began his training with all of the other students under the watchful eye of Karl Mordo but struggled initially, finding himself disappointingly unable to create a portal using the Sling Ring which the other trainees appeared to have no issue doing. Becoming more frustrated as he continued to fail, Strange told the Ancient One that he believed that the shaking in his hands is the cause. Not accepting this excuse, the Ancient One invited Master Hamir to demonstrate his own skill.
Revealing that Hamir was missing a hand but was still able to use his power regardless, the Ancient One made it clear that Strange could do the same thing if given more practice and confidence in his own abilities as a sorcerer. Deciding that Strange needed more pressure to improve his skills, the Ancient One created her own portal and then took Strange to the top of Mount Everest where Strange was bewildered by his surroundings.
Wearing only thin clothing, the Ancient One told Strange that the only way he would be able to return to Kamar-Taj before he froze to death was to successfully use his Sling Ring, before she left him behind, much to Strange's horror. Despite still struggling at first and succumbing to the turbulent weather, Strange was able to concentrate hard enough to successfully create a portal and landed back at Kamar-Taj, and mastering this new technique, much to the Ancient One and Mordo's amusement as he fell onto his face before them.
Once, in this room, you told me to open my eyes. Now I'm being told to blindly accept rules that make no sense."
"Like the rule against conjuring a gateway in the library?Doctor Strange and Ancient One
With this achievement, Strange gained the confidence that he could have the skills to become a sorcerer. Strange successfully managed to shave his beard down, giving himself a new look before he went to the library and asked Wong for some new books, jokingly calling him Beyoncé, however, Wong still believed that Strange was not ready for the books.
When Wong refused to hand over the books, Strange took it upon himself to use his Sling Ring to take books from the library behind Wong's back, though he quickly found out. With the books borrowed from Wong, Strange studied in his sleep using the Astral Dimension and progressed rapidly in his studies over the following months, also emailing Christine Palmer whenever he could to try and repair the friendship he had so badly damaged just before he had left. Strange then learned how to master the Astral Projection.
While his studies were becoming even more impressive, Strange also began questioning many of the rules presented to him in Kamar-Taj and started teaching himself. As a result, the Ancient One invited Strange to use the Mirror Dimension to study where he could not affect the real world. While she presented this dimension to him, the Ancient One warned of the threats like Kaecilius where this dimension could protect lives from any of the Zealots' sudden attacks.
Training with Karl Mordo
So, just how ancient is she?"
"No one knows the age of the Sorcerer Supreme. Only that she is Celtic and never talks about her past."
"You follow her even though you don't know?Stephen Strange and Karl Mordo
Stepping back onto the courtyard of Kamar-Taj, Strange began his fight training with Karl Mordo. He questioned Mordo about the Ancient One, asking her true age. Mordo explained that nobody knew the true age of the Ancient One, to which Strange questioned how he could follow someone he knew nothing about, but Mordo insisted that she was trustworthy regardless of her secrets.
As they sparred, Strange and Mordo discussed Kaecilius and why he had turned against the Masters of the Mystic Arts. Taking a break from fighting, Mordo explained the concept of relics, which held their power within objects rather than in the Masters themselves. Strange laughed at the complex names as Mordo introduced him to the Staff of the Living Tribunal and Vaulting Boots of Valtorr and then invited Strange to conjure up his own weapon using his powers.
Just as Strange conjured his whip out of pure magic energy, Mordo proceeded to beat him into submission to prove a point, telling him that he needed to fight as if his life depended on it, as one day it may. Once back in his room later that night, Strange went back onto his tablet and wrote yet another email to Christine Palmer, hoping that she might finally reply to him so that he could make amends for all of his unfortunate actions to her and they could move forward.
Using an Infinity Stone
I was just doing exactly what it said in the book!"
"And what did the book say about the dangers of performing that ritual?"
"Yeah, I don't know. I hadn't gotten to that part yet.Doctor Strange and Wong
After nine months of training, Strange walked inside the library only to find Wong was not there. Strange then took the chance to read the Book of Cagliostro and decided to use the Eye of Agamotto. Strange experimented with its power by making an apple regrow and then rot, discovering the Eye had given him control over time itself in the process. Strange also recreated the missing page on the book which made him realize how The Ancient One remained young.
Wong and Karl Mordo stumbled into Strange's experiment and both warned him not to bend fundamental natural laws so haphazardly, noting that misuse of items of such incredible power, like the Eye, could cause Strange to become trapped in a time loop forever as a result. Upon hearing this, Strange awkwardly recommended that the warnings should be put in front of the spells, not after. When asked how he had performed such a difficult spell for an early level trainee of the Masters of the Mystic Arts, Strange explained that he had used his photographic memory before questioning what the purpose of the Masters was as this had never been explained to him.
Taking Strange into the next room, Wong and Mordo explained how they protect the Earth from mystical threats in much the same way that the Avengers protect it from physical ones. Strange questioned if one of these great threats was Dormammu, noting how he had read of Dormammu in the book. Wong then explained how Dormammu came from the Dark Dimension and sought to consume the Earth and rule over the entire Multiverse to become all powerful.
Strange initially refused to fight in a "mystic war" before the London Sanctum was attacked by Kaecilius, with the corpse of Sol Rama, the Sanctum's protector, dropping at their feet. The Sanctum was then destroyed and the explosion ripped through the Kamar-Taj and knocked everybody off their feet, trapping Strange in the New York Sanctum based within New York City as he became separated from all of his allies and was now unable to return to Kamar-Taj.
Finding himself in a new location in New York City due to just being thrown through the portal, Strange walked throughout the New York Sanctum looking for anybody and had soon discovered the Rotunda of Gateways as well as the Cloak of Levitation, which had seemed to acknowledge him, during his time looking around all of the corridors and searching around for someone to help him get back.
However, Strange soon heard some commotion and when he went to investigate, he discovered Kaecilius and all his Zealots attacking the building, with Kaecilius seemingly having gained the ability to fold space and matter outside of the Mirror Dimension. While watching from a safe distance, Strange witnessed Daniel Drumm, the guardian of the Sanctum, being murdered by Kaecilius and made his presence known to the attackers but was too late to save Drumm.
Kaecilius initially mistook Strange's name for Mister Doctor as they awkwardly greeted each other, but soon forgot this and attacked him in order to complete his plan to bring Dormammu to Earth. Strange fought back against the Zealots as they all charged towards him as a unit, using his Sling Ring to create whips that stopped their attacks and beat them back as he had been taught to do by Karl Mordo, at one point using the whip to grab hold of a lamp which he threw at his attackers before attempting to run away for his life.
As Strange attempted to run through the hallway, however, Kaecilius used his own Magic to manipulate the hallway and keep Strange from getting away, forcing Strange to continue defending himself. Using all of the Ancient One's techniques, Strange created shields for himself, although he had trouble controlling them as he lost control over one. Kaecilius' zealots then attacked Strange who managed to defend himself for a time, until Kaecilius used his magic to twist the hallway, causing Strange to be thrown painfully against the walls before having to hold on as it was then turned vertically.
Seeing an opportunity, Strange used the Rotunda of Gateways he had found earlier to throw one disciple in the desert. With limited time to trap the Zealot within the desert with no way back, Strange attempted to lock the door only for another Zealot, Lucian Aster to attack him. Using his wits, Strange gained the upper hand and locked the door before trapping Aster in the jungle, leaving only himself and Kaecilius inside the New York Sanctum to continue fighting.
As they continued to fight throughout the Sanctum, the desperate Strange soon found himself being overpowered by the highly trained Kaecilius and at one point attempted to intimidate Kaecilius by using the Brazier of Bom'Galiath, only to have to eventually admit that he did not know how to use it as a weapon and instead threw it at his head. Believing that their fight would soon be over, Kaecilius began knocking Strange through all of the glass containers.
Strange was soon knocked into the Cloak of Levitation's container, which then proceeded to save Strange's life as it began deflecting all of the Space-Time Shards that Kaecilius had continued to attack him with. Frustrated by this, Kaecilius threw Strange off the balcony, only for the Cloak to wrap itself around his shoulders and lifted Doctor Strange back into the fight, where he created another energy whip and continued fighting against Kaecilius with all of his remaining might.
Doctor Strange then used the cloak to fight Kaecilius until he was again overpowered and thrown across the room. While Doctor Strange attempted to charge towards his enemy to continue fighting with their abilities, the Cloak of Levitation instead pulled him backward, away from Kaecilius and towards weapons that were on display. However, when Doctor Strange attempted to grab these weapons to attack his enemy, the Cloak had instead pulled him away with some aggression, forcing Doctor Strange to use the other artifact against Kaecilius and trapped him with the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, finally ending the fight.
What do you have to gain out of this New Age dimensional utopia?"
"The same as you. The same as everyone. Life. Eternal life. People think in terms of good and evil, but really, time is the true enemy of us all. Time kills everything."
"What about the people you killed?Doctor Strange and Kaecilius
With Kaecilius incapable of defending himself, Strange explained that his name was Doctor Strange, not Mister Doctor. Seeing that Strange was a Doctor, Kaecilius explained how the laws of nature declared that all things but die, but insisted that within the Dark Dimension, this was not the case. Although Doctor Strange tried to gag Kaecilius in order to shut him up, he went on to insist that the Earth did not have to die, but could instead join Dormammu and live forever.
As Doctor Strange listened, Kaecilius explained the Zealots' plan was to thrust reality with the Dark Dimension, giving themselves and all lives on Earth eternal life. Kaecilius then told Doctor Strange that the Ancient One dabbled in magic from the Dark Dimension, which is what gave her long lasting life, noting that Doctor Strange himself had not come to Kamar-Taj to fight with the Masters of the Mystic Arts but instead intended to save his hands, something the Ancient One had failed to do.
As Doctor Strange began to take note of these warnings about the Ancient One and Dormammu's power, Kaecilius began to laugh. Doctor Strange questioned if he found all of this funny before Kaecilius noted that Doctor Strange's Sling Ring was missing. Just as Doctor Strange turned around to look for the ring, however, Lucian Aster made it back through the Rotunda of Gateways and stabbed him through the chest with a Space-Time Shard, almost killing Strange before throwing him down the stairs.
As he attempted to escape, Strange was followed closely by Aster who smiled as Strange was forced to slowly crawl away from his attacker. Just as Aster attempted to conjure another Space-Time Shard and finish off Strange, the Cloak of Levitation again came to his aid, wrapping itself around Aster's face and keeping him from killing Strange. While this confrontation happened, Strange chose to seek out Christine Palmer at the Metro-General Hospital.
Oh, lord, oh, lord. What am I seeing?"
"My astral body."
"Are you dead?"
"No, Christine, but I am dying.Christine Palmer and Doctor Strange
Strange used his own Sling Ring to transport himself into the Metro-General Hospital to find Christine Palmer and asked her to operate on him alone. Palmer began the surgery and Strange, feeling that his physical body was getting too weak, entered the Astral Dimension and used his astral form to help, shocking Palmer and leaving her bewildered, but Strange insisted they did not have time.
While Palmer attempted to save his life, Strange suddenly noticed that Aster had escaped from the Cloak of Levitation and had used entered his own astral form. Leaving Palmer to continue to keep him alive, Strange entered to Astral Dimension and fought against Aster. As they fought, they disturbed several objects in the physical world in the process while Palmer continued performing the surgery, briefly distracting Nicodemus West while he was buying snacks.
Being the superior fighter, Aster had eventually managed to gain the upper hand and knocked Strange unconscious, which resulted in his physical body's heart-stopping. While Aster attempted to finish him off, Strange's Astral body was filled with energy when Palmer used a defibrillator. Ordering Palmer to do it again, Strange was able to kill Aster after being charged with a defibrillator, causing Aster's astral form to then explode from the sudden burst of energy.
Returning into his body as Palmer finished her work on his wound, Strange explained that he had been to Kamar-Taj to heal his wounds and learned magic from the Ancient One, which had allowed him to do what he could do now, although Palmer claimed this meant that he had likely joined a cult, which Strange claimed was untrue despite being amused by the idea. Strange apologized to Palmer for what he had said to her before leaving, asking for her forgiveness.
With his wound from the Space-Time Shards mostly dealt with, Strange decided to return to the New York Sanctum and to continue his fight against the Zealots, although Palmer insisted that this was a bad decision. Explaining that he was still fighting against Kaecilius before he could allow Dormammu and the Dark Dimension to take over the world, Strange then showed Palmer the portal he had previously made with his Sling Ring when he had arrived to confirm once and for all that what he had been saying was completely true. While Palmer looked on in amazement, Strange apologized and vanished through the portal to continue his fight against Kaecilius.
Demanding the Truth
It is Doctor Strange! Not Master Strange, not Mr. Strange, Doctor Strange! When I became a doctor, I swore an oath to do no harm, and I have just killed a man! I'm not doing that again. I became a doctor to save lives, not take them.Doctor Strange to Ancient One
Returning to the New York Sanctum, Strange soon found the corpse of Lucian Aster lying on the ground, confirming he had been killed during the Duel on the Astral Plane. Horrified by seeing the body of the man he had killed, Strange walked away from Aster, but not first recollecting the Cloak of Levitation. As Strange walked through the Sanctum, he discovered that Kaecilius had successfully managed to escape the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak while he had been gone.
Strange discovered that Karl Mordo and the Ancient One had also arrived, with Mordo expressing his great surprise that the Cloak of Levitation had chosen him. Upon learning that Daniel Drumm had been killed, the Ancient One congratulated Strange for defending the Sanctum and declared him "Master Strange" as its new protector. Strange refused as he was supposed to save lives, not end them and couldn't bear killing anyone else in the wake of Aster's death.
While the Ancient One accused Strange of returning to his ego and his belief that he could control everything, Strange denied this before making a remark that while he could not control death, perhaps it was Dormammu who could. Strange confronted the Ancient One, noting he had read the rituals in the Book of Cagliostro which had seemed to confirm that she had been secretly over dabbling in the magic of the Dark Dimension to keep herself alive for centuries, all while telling the Masters of the Mystic Arts to do the opposite.
Although Mordo denied this, as he could not believe the Ancient One had been doing something so reckless and lying about it, she did not and returned to Kamar-Taj, leaving Strange and Mordo. Disgusted by Strange's insults, Mordo furiously called him a coward, claiming he had just saved his own life against all the Zealots and still cared for nobody but himself. Strange insisted that they did not have to kill, but Mordo told him that there was no other way to win.
While Strange and Karl Mordo continued to argue about the ethics of killing, they were interrupted by Kaecilius, who had returned to attack the New York Sanctum. While Mordo charged forward to fight him, Strange stopped Kaecilius from destroying the Sanctum, dragging them all into the Mirror Dimension where they could not harm the physical world.
However, Kaecilius remained confident and began manipulating the world around them, causing Strange and Mordo to run outside, with Strange stealing Kaecilius' Sling Ring. Mordo then informed Strange that although Kaecilius could not damage the physical world, his own connection to the Dark Dimension made him more powerful in there and would likely kill them both. Strange and Mordo then ran for their lives, with Kaecilius and the Zealots following closely behind.
Desperate to get free, Strange attempted to create a portal back to the physical world, but Kaecilius then affected the gravity within the Dimension to destroy their portals. Strange and Mordo attempted to run to safety, but Kaecilius gained the upper hand, throwing them off a building before they were saved by the Cloak of Levitation and the Vaulting Boots of Valtorr slowing their fall until Strange confessed to Mordo that he had indeed just made a terrible mistake.
Strange and Mordo had soon become separated by Kaecilius' world-bending powers, causing Strange to desperately escape across New York City in an attempt to get away, with the entire landscape around him changing constantly, with Strange barely making it through with his life. Despite all of his attempts to get away, however, Kaecilius eventually managed to catch up with Strange and violently threw him to the ground, reclaiming his Sling Ring from him. While Strange lay helpless, Kaecilius proceeded to create a new Space-Time Shard which he then prepared to finally kill Strange with and end their conflict.
Just before Kaecilius could deliver the finishing blow and kill Strange, the Ancient One arrived and pulled them apart, revealing to Mordo that her power derives from the Dark Dimension. Strange and Mordo watched the Ancient One battle against all the Zealots until she was fatally stabbed by Kaecilius with a Space-Time Shard. Kaecilius then knocked her through a portal and she fell hundreds of stories down with Strange and Mordo failing to save her from the deadly impact.
Losing the Ancient One
Arrogance and fear still keep you from learning the most significant lesson of all."
"It's not about you.Ancient One to Doctor Strange
In a desperate attempt to save the Ancient One, Strange rushed her to Metro-General Hospital and called upon the help of Christine Palmer to try and save the Ancient One from her life-threatening injuries caused by the stabbing and fall. Unable to perform the surgery due to his shaking hands, Strange handed the scalpel back to Nicodemus West and told him to relieve the pressure from her brain.
As the Ancient One began to go into cardiac arrest, Strange noticed that the Ancient One had entered the Astral Dimension and had left the room. Knowing that leaving her own body now could prove fatal, Strange entered his own astral form and followed the Ancient One as she moved through the hospital, telling her to return as she was dying, however, the Ancient One seemingly refused to listen to him and entered glided onto the balcony to see New York City.
Ignoring Strange's pleas for her to return to her body, the Ancient One told him of how she had peered into her own future and never seen further than this very moment in time, but she had seen infinite possibilities for his future. She told him, like Jonathan Pangborn, he can use his magic to heal his hands and return to being a surgeon, which would come at a great loss to the Earth, or become a member of the Masters of the Mystic Arts and fight for the earth's survival.
She told him about the Dark Dimension and why she had drawn her power from there, claiming that Strange would agree that sometimes one had to break the rules for the better good, agreeing that Karl Mordo would not likely see it from this point of view. The Ancient One then told Strange that he could only defeat Kaecilius and Dormammu with Mordo's help before she commented on her own desire to see the snow falling just as her Form vanished and she finally died.
Recruiting Karl Mordo
You told me once to fight as if my life depended on it, because one day, it might. Well, today is that day. I can not defeat them alone.Doctor Strange to Karl Mordo
With the death of the Ancient One, Strange chose to give up his old life and become a Master of the Mystic Arts. Strange mourned the Ancient One's death before speaking with Christine Palmer as they both washed their hands. Strange noted that Palmer had told him that losing his hands was not the end for him and there were other ways to save lives.
Telling Palmer that he finally understood what she meant as losing his hands did not have to be the end but could become a new beginning for him. Palmer was then called away for another surgery within Metro-General Hospital as Strange told her that he did not want her to go, so she kissed Strange on the cheek before walking away. Strange then reclaimed the Cloak of Levitation which wiped a tear from his eye, much to Strange's minor annoyance.
Returning into Kamar-Taj which had been left in utter ruins due to the previous attack, Strange found Karl Mordo who was now considering everything he had learned about the Ancient One's lies. Although Strange passed it off as her being complicated, Mordo argued that she was directly responsible for Kaecilius and all the Zealots turning against them. Despite all this, however, Strange convinced Mordo to continue fighting against Dormammu while they still could.
Strange and Karl Mordo headed into Hong Kong only to discover to their horror that the Masters of the Mystic Arts had been defeated by the Zealots and the Hong Kong Sanctum itself had already been destroyed, allowing the Dark Dimension to begin consuming the entire Earth. The devastated Mordo then told Strange that nothing could be done to stop the Zealots from executing their plans.
Unwilling to allow the Zealots to succeed and the Dark Dimension to destroy the Earth, Strange began opening the Eye of Agamotto in a final effort to defeat the Zealots. Seeing this, Kaecilius ran forward as Strange opened the Eye and harnessed its magic. As Kaecilius reached him and tried to kill Strange with a Space-Time Shard, Strange completed the spell and froze Kaecilius in place. Strange then began breaking the natural laws of time as he reversed what happened, repairing the destroyed buildings all around the currently burning city.
Kaecilius refused to allow this, however, and broke himself and his Zealots out of the spell, allowing them to remain in the same time span as Strange and Mordo. As they made their way across the city, Strange and Mordo were ambushed, with Mordo being forced to battle the both Brunette and the Blonde Zealot while Strange fought Kaecilius, who desperately attempted to break the new spell while Strange used the changing landscape to his advantage.
As Mordo assisted Strange using the Staff of the Living Tribunal to trap Kaecilius inside of a building as it was being rebuilt, they then discovered the corpse of Wong who had died fighting the Zealots. Strange proceeded to use the Eye of Agamotto's magic to return Wong and many other innocent bystanders from the dead, with Wong, who was still armed with the Wand of Watoomb, shocked by what he was seeing but still choosing not to complain.
As Strange, Mordo, and Wong prepared to run back to the Hong Kong Sanctum to defend it, they were then interrupted mid-spell, resulting in time being frozen around the fighting. Kaecilius returned and declared that Dormammu's arrival could not be stopped and once again mentioned that the Dark Dimension was beyond time. Hearing this, Strange figured out a way to defeat Dormammu and headed to the Dark Dimension where time was irrelevant.
Dormammu! I've come to bargain."
"You cannot do this forever."
"Actually, I can. This is how things are now. You and me, trapped in this moment, endlessly."
"Then you will spend eternity dying.Doctor Strange and Dormammu
Using the Cloak of Levitation, Strange flew away from the battle and arrived inside the Dark Dimension, where he proceeded to use the Eye of Agamotto to cast another time spell which allowed him to create a time loop. Strange then confronted the monstrous Dormammu declaring that he had come to bargain. However, Dormammu simply ignored Strange's offer and swiftly destroyed him.
Suddenly, Strange appeared again repeating the exact same words as before. Slightly confused but undaunted, Dormammu then killed Strange again, only for him to reappear and repeat his challenge yet again. Perplexed by this, Dormammu demanded to know what was happening. Strange explained that he had used the Eye of Agamotto to create an endless time loop, keeping both him and Dormammu trapped repeating the loop forever until he relented and listened to his bargain. Enraged, Dormammu killed Strange over and over again but was unable to stop the cycle from repeating itself endlessly.
Unlike Strange, Dormammu had no power over time since the Dark Dimension was a place beyond time. Trying to convince him to break the loop, Dormammu noted Strange would spend eternity dying in agony, but Strange insisted it was a price worth paying to protect everyone on Earth. Eventually, Dormammu became desperate and surrendered, asking what Strange had wanted. Strange demanded he never return to Earth and to take the Zealots with him.
He returned to Hong Kong to complete the time spell, coming back moments before he left as the Zealots overlooked their own victory. As Kaecilius looked around at Strange in horror, he demanded to know what he had done, to which Strange announced he had made a bargain which Kaecilius would not like. Strange then watched as Dormammu turned Kaecilius and his Zealots into Mindless Ones and took them all away into his Dimension to suffer for eternity.
As Strange noted that Kaecilius should have read the warnings of the spell, Wong burst out laughing before Strange completed his time spell and returned Hong Kong back to normal. Having witnessed Strange and the Ancient One's liberal use of magic to break their own rules, Karl Mordo told Strange that he had made his choice and left the Masters of the Mystic Arts, having become disillusioned by their questionable and dangerous use of their own magic.
Guarding the Sanctum
Wise choice. You'll wear the Eye of Agamotto in time. Until then, best not to walk the streets with an Infinity Stone."
"You have a gift for the mystic arts, but you still have much to learn.Wong to Doctor Strange
Realizing he was not yet worthy of wielding the Eye of Agamotto due to his potential to change the fabric of both reality and time, Strange decided it would be best to return the relic inside Kamar-Taj. Joining Strange there, Wong agreed with his choice, claiming to overuse an Infinity Stone was dangerous. Strange made it clear he did not know about the Stones; a fact that did not surprise Wong.
Wong had gone on to note that the New York Sanctum needed a new protector, due to Daniel Drumm being murdered by Kaecilius. Strange accepted the offer and placed the Cloak of Levitation back over his own shoulders before following Wong through a portal towards the Sanctum. Once there, Strange put on the watch Christine Palmer had given him and then looked out at his new home through the window. Immediately following his duel with Dormammu, Strange created a list of extraterrestrial and inter-dimensional beings who posed a threat to the people of Earth, such as Loki. During this time, Strange also learned that Odin, the former king of Asgard, was on Earth and made contact with him, with Odin opting to stay on Earth, instead of returning to Asgard. Strange attended a full moon party at Kamar-Taj, causing Strange to cast the Runes of Kof-Kol to make all sorcerers forget about the party except himself.
Learning of Infinity Stones
A few months into his time as the New York Sanctum's guardian, Strange had a conversation with Wong regarding the Infinity Stones and their history across the Nine Realms. Wong also explained that his reason for telling him this was that Thor had seemingly returned back to Earth and brought Loki with him for unknown reasons, which could pose a potential threat to the planet.
Considering the threat that Loki had posed to the Earth when he had used the Tesseract and caused the Battle of New York, Strange sent Loki through a portal when he arrived in New York City and decided to bring Thor into the Sanctum, leaving his business card behind for Thor to find. Upon reaching the Sanctum, Thor, bemused to find Earth had mystical protectors, inadvertently also knocked several ancient artifacts over while he had been exploring the Sanctum.
Strange sat down across from Thor, at first offering him a cup of tea which he changed to an ale upon Thor's request. Strange went on to explain that since becoming one of the Masters of the Mystic Arts he had begun to keep a watchlist of many of the dangerous individuals from the Multiverse, noting that Loki was on that list, which Thor had noted was a worthy inclusion. Strange questioned why Thor had decided to bring Loki back to Earth considering the risk.
Thor explained that he and Loki had been looking for Odin who had vanished ever since Loki had taken his place during their conflict with the Dark Elves' leader, Malekith. Strange then offered his help on the condition that they would then return straight to Asgard as soon as the mission had been completed, which Thor agreed to. Strange noted he had been unable to contact Thor and explained that Odin had requested that he remain in exile without being found.
Strange explained that Odin was currently still hiding out in his exile within Norway as Strange used his powers to teleport himself and Thor around the New York Sanctum while he confirmed that he did not have to modify his magic in order for it to work for Asgardians, with Thor getting also increasingly annoyed about being teleported around the building so much and spilling his ale as a result.
Strange then requested a strand of Thor's hair, ignoring his protests and taking it regardless before using it to create the portal to Norway. Before he left, Strange reminded Thor to collect Mjølnir, which had been disguised as an umbrella while he was on Earth, with the pair overhearing the umbrella smashing through several items upstairs before it returned to Thor's hand, which Thor apologized for. Just as he prepared to leave, Thor then requested Loki's return.
Once Strange released Loki, he attempted to attack Strange in his fury for allowing him to fall through the portal for thirty minutes, but Strange decided he was done with the Asgardians, unceremoniously throwing Thor and Loki into the portal to Odin's location. Strange then went back to his previous conversation with Wong in order to learn about the final Infinity Stone; the Soul Stone, which Wong had revealed had the potential to be the most dangerous of all.
Learning of Thanos
Tony Stark, I'm Doctor Stephen Strange. I need you to come with me. Oh, congratulations on the wedding by the way."
"I'm sorry, you giving out tickets or something?"
"We need your help. Look, it's not overselling to say that the fate of the universe is at stake.Doctor Strange and Tony Stark
During the day at the New York Sanctum, Strange was set to head out of the deli-grocery store for food and asked for Wong about what he would like to eat to whom he asked to pay. However, Wong then revealed that he did not have any actual American money, annoying Strange, who told him he'd buy a tuna sandwich instead.
At that moment, Bruce Banner crashed inside the place, having been brought there by Heimdall's bridge. Strange then formed up with his sorcerer getup only to figure out it was Banner, telling him that Thanos was coming, much to Strange curiosity. At Banner's urging, he and Strange would go and find Tony Stark who was with Pepper Potts at Central Park, telling him to come with the group and congratulate them on their proposal.
Once Tony Stark arrived with Strange to the New York Sanctum, Wong would show Stark about the Infinity Stones, where they came from and how many are there are. As he named them all one by one, Strange would reveal the Time Stone from the Eye of Agamotto. Once Stark asked about Thanos, Strange told him if he gets all six stones he will destroy half of all life that is hitherto undreamed of. Having to understand that the universe was at stake, Strange listened to Stark about his use of language, to which he grew irritated with Stark from touching the Cauldron of the Cosmos and letting the Cloak of Levitation hit his hand.
As Stark collects himself, the group realized that Vision, who had the Mind Stone embedded in his head, would be another target. Banner would tell Stark to call Steve Rogers for help before he would they were interrupted by the sound of agitation in the streets and debris flying through the air. Leaving the Sanctum to investigate, the four found people fleeing and screaming in panic, as a Q-Ship sent by Thanos had arrived, devastating the surrounding city with powerful winds.
Strange and the group would confront the ship, casting a spell that neutralizes the powerful winds created by the Q-Ship. Once the craft drew out Ebony Maw and Cull Obsidian who descended from the Ship in a tractor beam, Maw demanded the Time Stone which was kept in the Eye of Agamotto, only to be rudely rebuffed and commanded to leave by both Strange and Stark. Frustrated, Maw commanded Obsidian to attack and retrieve the Stone. While Banner unsuccessfully attempted to release Hulk and Stark donning his Mark L armor and blasted Obsidian away.
Using his Sling Ring to send Banner to safety, Strange was then told by Iron Man to flee with the Time Stone, but he refused. Strange and Wong managed to redirect the attack with their Sling Rings, injuring Maw. Infuriated, Maw incapacitated Wong by bursting a nearby fire hydrant. Strange attempted to restrain Maw with an Eldritch Whip, only for the latter to tackle Strange, telekinetically trapping him in the side of a nearby building.
Strange would get sealed by bricks from Maw which he attempted to remove the Time Stone. Breaking free, Strange attempted to use the Stone against Maw but was quickly restrained again by cables. Before Maw could kill Strange, he warned that his death would not remove the seal, causing Maw to choke him unconscious instead, choosing to bring him back to the Q-Ship alive. However, the Cloak of Levitation managed to escape the restraints with the unconscious Strange, with an enraged Maw in hot pursuit.
Strange would past by in the park, where Iron Man tasked Spider-Man with rescuing the unconscious Strange as he held off Obsidian. Maw noticed Spider-Man was chasing him all and tried to get away. Despite Maw's efforts, Spider-Man managed to grab Strange, only for the both of them, as well as the Cloak, to be caught in the Q-ship's tractor beam. Maw boarded the Q-Ship with Strange and held him off captive until he gave up the stone.
Tortured by Ebony Maw
You have to understand... if it comes to saving you or the kid or the Time Stone... I will not hesitate to let either of you die. I can't, because the fate of the universe depends on it.Doctor Strange to Iron Man
Awakening, Strange found himself in the captivity of Ebony Maw, aboard a Q-Ship bound to rendezvous with Thanos on Titan, while telekinetically immobilized and surrounded by hundreds of alien microsurgery needles. Noticing that Strange is awake, Maw approached him, preparing to begin the torture.
As the horrendous torture began, Strange was informed by Maw that he would be judged harshly by Thanos for bringing him alive, and so requires Strange to remove the magical seal protecting the Time Stone in the Eye of Agamotto, to allow Maw to retrieve it. With this remark, Maw began to telekinetically stab the microsurgery needles one by one into Strange's body, each inducing terrible pain while commanding that Strange release the Stone, to no avail.
Strange would continue to get tortured by Maw, who, while under immense pain and duress, remained unyielding to Maw's demands. Before Maw could continue, he was interrupted by the sudden appearance of Iron Man. Maw threatened to kill Strange, but Iron Man fired a missile into the wall of the Q-Ship. The hull was breached, instantly sucking Maw into the vacuum of space. Strange was inadvertently caught in the vacuum, and the Cloak of Levitation attempted to rescue him.
Leaping in, Spider-Man managed to grab Strange. Stark noted that the Ship was on an automated course bound for an unknown location. Strange insisted that Stark commandeer the Ship to return them and the Time Stone to Earth, although Stark was reluctant. Instead, he suggested continuing on their current course to Thanos, proposing they ambush him on his territory, where he would not be expecting an attack, and to keep his attention away from Earth.
Although initially at odds, Strange reluctantly agreed with Stark's plan, after he told of his history over the years about Thanos' manipulative discourse. After agreeing, Strange reminded Stark that he would prioritize saving the Time Stone over either Stark or Parker's lives, asserting he would easily let either of them die if it means keeping the Stone from Thanos' hands.
Encountering the Guardians
Crashing on Titan, Strange, Iron Man and Spider-Man almost immediately battled Drax, Peter Quill, and Mantis, believing them to be Thanos' soldiers. However, after a tense standoff, both parties realized they shared the same goal, before deciding to work together to ambush Thanos, who they expected to be arriving soon.
Awaiting for Thanos' arrival, Iron Man, Spider-Man and the Guardians of the Galaxy attempted to formulate a plan of attack, while this happened, Strange activated the Time Stone, and just as he had done with Dormammu, Strange created a time loop living 14,000,605 possible scenarios. While reliving all the possible outcomes, Strange contemplated cutting off Thanos' hand with his Sling Ring, but desisted upon realizing that the Titan's skin was almost impenetrable and that if he failed to cut it on time, Thanos would still be able to snap his fingers and accomplish his goal.
Strange eventually saw that the singular way to victory that involved Thanos obtaining all six Infinity Stones and achieving his goal of culling the universe, with him among the casualties, however, in 2023, with the help of Ant-Man, Stark, and the Avengers, they would perform a Time Heist that would allow them to create their own Infinity Gauntlet and have Banner successfully resurrect the victims of the Snap back to life.
Despite seeing that the defeat of Thanos would happen only with the sacrifice of Stark, Strange returned back to reality, and gravely informed the others of how many scenarios he had seen and that only one of them ended in Thanos' defeat, but did not inform them of any of the details.
Congratulations, you're a prophet."
"I'm a survivor."
"Who wants to murder trillions.Doctor Strange and Thanos
Prior to the battle, Strange removed the Time Stone from the Eye of Agamotto and hid both artifacts while creating a replica Eye to wear. Sitting down on a faraway hill alone, Strange saw Thanos and informed him that he had been brought face-to-face with a Master of the Mystic Arts. Thanos ignored the threat, simply asking Strange where he believed Ebony Maw had brought him. Strange guessed that Titan was his former home. Nodding wistfully in affirmation to Strange, Thanos stopped and began to reminisce. Thanos would use the Reality Stone to craft an illusion of Titan's former beauty to Strange.
Strange hailed Thanos as a prophet, but Thanos retorted, claiming himself to be a survivor. Strange continued to condemn the Titan's motivations as for mass murdering trillions. Thanos explained to Strange that with all six Infinity Stones, a single snap of his finger would only cause a merciful cessation of half of the universe's existence. Strange stood and questioned Thanos about once he achieved his goal. Thanos desired to simply rest while watching the sunrise on a grateful Universe.
Threatening Thanos, Strange entered a combat stance, warning Thanos that their will would be equal to his. Realizing that Strange was not alone, Thanos was temporarily ambushed only to began attacking. Strange conjured a sword and engaged the half-blinded Thanos in brief close combat alongside Drax the Destroyer. However, Thanos would kick Strange in which he blocked it with a Tao Mandala.
Strange would conjured platforms of energy for Star-Lord to jump and conjured a portal for Star-Lord to escape. Strange would tell the Cloak of Levitation to not allow Thanos to close his fist, The Cloak would wrap around the Infinity Gauntlet and preventing Thanos from activating it. Using his Sling Ring, Strange summoned Spider-Man to attack Thanos, leaping through conjured portals to repeatedly attack Thanos from all sides and preventing him from removing the Cloak.
However, once Thanos managed to grab Spider-Man, he would throw him towards Strange, knocking them both to the ground. Recovered from his harmful attack, Strange quickly cast a binding spell on Thanos, restraining the Gauntlet with crimson bands of energy. Until Iron Man swooped in, taking Strange's place to hold the Gauntlet. Strange used his Sling Ring to open a portal and drop Mantis on Thanos' head, before casting the Bands to restrain his right arm.
Showdown with Thanos
Following the failed attempt of getting the Infinity Gauntlet off, Strange personally confronted Thanos in a ferocious duel, with Strange launching the first strike, sending streams of energy at Thanos. Leaping into the air, Thanos retaliated with a blast of energy from the Power Stone. Strange countered with an open gateway to the Mirror Dimension to absorb the beam, before pushing it toward Thanos to trap him. Thanos destroyed the gateway with the Power Stone, before throwing the remnants back at Strange in the form of a black hole with the Space Stone. Thinking quickly, Strange cast a spell to transmute the singularity into a swarm of blue butterflies, briefly confusing Thanos.
Raising into the air with the Cloak of Levitation, Strange then cast his duplication spell, splitting into an army of magical clones of himself to restrain Thanos with hundreds of Eldritch Whips. However, Thanos immediately regained the upper hand, activating the Soul and Power Stones to instantly destroy the false images and briefly sunder Strange's astral form from his body. With his opponent staggered, Thanos activated the Space and Reality Stones, pulling Strange to his hand before he could react, winning the duel.
Once he was subdued, Strange was within Thanos' grasp and tried to pull himself away. Admitting that while he was impressed by Strange's mastery over magic, Thanos deduced that, as the sorcerer had never once attempted to use the Time Stone to his advantage, the Eye of Agamotto that was being worn was a fake. Confirming his suspicions, Thanos took and crushed the fake Eye of Agamotto, revealing it to be empty, before throwing Strange away.
Tony. There was no other way.Doctor Strange to Tony Stark
Before Thanos could kill Iron Man, Strange intervened and offered the Time Stone in exchange for Stark's life, since his future vision revealed to him that Stark needed to live to convert Hank Pym's Quantum Tunnel into a time machine for the Time Heist and sacrifice himself at the Battle of Earth to defeat Thanos. Thanos agreed after warning Strange not to double-cross him. Despite Stark's pleas to not give in, Strange revealed the Time Stone, having disguised it as a star in Titan's sky, and surrendered it to Thanos. After the battle, Stark would ask Strange why he would give up the Stone. Strange could only inform Stark that they were now in the "endgame."
When Thanos collected the last remaining stone, the Mind Stone, from Vision in Wakanda, he snapped his fingers, removing half of sapient life in the universe from existence. After watching Mantis, Drax, and Star-Lord vanish before their eyes, Strange, gradually disintegrating into dust himself, assured a visibly-shaken Stark that there was no other way before disappearing. With no Sorcerer Supreme since 2017, the position had been left vacant with Strange as a candidate, but with Strange dead, the title of Sorcerer Supreme was given to Wong.
Hey, you said one out of fourteen million, we win. Tell me this is it."
"If I tell you what happens, it won't happen."
"You better be right.Iron Man and Doctor Strange
Five years later, as a result of the Blip, Strange was restored to life. Knowing what had transpired during the five years due to looking into the future with the Eye of Agamotto, Strange enlisted the assistance of Spider-Man and the Guardians of the Galaxy.
He then opened a portal from Titan to Earth and arrived at the destroyed Avengers Compound to prepare for the massive battle against alternate Thanos. He then began recruiting Wong and the other Masters of the Mystic Arts to find every hero who was resurrected in order for them to assist the surviving Avengers in the fight.
After seeing Wong in person, he inquired if they were able to summon everyone, to which Wong exasperatedly asked Strange if he wanted more. Strange then stood alongside the epic line of assembled heroes as Captain America led the charge against alternate Thanos and his army. Strange then charged towards Thanos' army, using the Cloak of Levitation to fly into the air and into battle.
After taking down a group of aliens with magic into another dimension, Strange was approached by Tony Stark, who questioned if this was the one out of fourteen million futures in which they would win. Strange told Stark that if he told him what happens, it won't happen. Stark then told Strange that he had better be right.
When Thanos ordered an airstrike to halt Wanda Maximoff's attacks, it destroyed the foundations of the nearby lake. When Pepper Potts called this to attention, Strange stepped up to hold back the water from reaching the battlefield. Strange continued to hold back the water after alternate Thanos had destroyed Luis' van with his sword.
After seeing Carol Danvers get knocked out of the fight by alternate Thanos, Strange, visibly shocked, signalled to Stark that this was the one timeline he foresaw where they won and nudged him to act. This ultimately led to Stark sacrificing himself by stealing away the Infinity Stones and using them to wipe out alternate Thanos and his army, which proved Strange's visions correct. All the heroes then gathered around the fallen hero, and following Clint Barton, everyone, including Strange, knelt before him out of respect.
Tony Stark’s Funeral
A week later, Strange and Wong attended Tony Stark’s funeral at the Stark Eco-Compound. Strange and Wong stood alongside all the heroes who they previously fought with, as Stark's Arc Reactor was sent adrift on the lake. Afterwards, Strange returned to live at the New York Sanctum.
Helping Peter Parker
You know, after everything we've been through together, somehow I always forget... You're just a kid. Look, part of the problem, it's not Mysterio. It's you. Trying to live two different lives.Doctor Strange to Peter Parker
In 2024, Strange witnessed a blizzard in Siberia came through the Rotunda of Gateways into the New York Sanctum. That November, he was visited by Peter Parker, who was surprised to learn that Strange was not Sorcerer Supreme and that Wong had been given the title. Strange asked what the reason for the visit was and insisted that Parker no longer refer to him as "sir" due to their shared experiences. Parker brought up that Mysterio revealing his identity to the world ruined his life, and asked if Strange could go back in time and stop it from happening.
As Parker pled his case, Strange informed him that he was no longer in possession of the Time Stone and voiced his concerns that the recent Time Heist affected the space-time continuum, but was given the idea to cast a spell that would make everyone forget Parker was Spider-Man. Wong objected Strange's idea, as it traveled the borders of known and unknown realities, but Strange revealed he had used the spell for less important matters, such as a party at Kamar-Taj. Strange attempted to convince Wong, who decided to let it happen, only if he were to be left out of the entire situation, and he departed through an Inter-Dimensional Portal to Kamar-Taj.
Strange brought Parker down to the Sanctum's lower level to a room that had walls that were thousands of years old and were filled with cosmic energy currents. As he began to cast the spell, he said a farewell to Parker, as he would soon forget who he was. Parker questioned what Strange meant, who revealed that the spell would make everyone in the world forget, and that it would be dangerous to change while casting the spell. However, Strange decided to allow Parker's girlfriend to remember, but Parker continued to add a few more people he wanted not to forget him which caused Strange to start losing control of the spell.
Due to the interference, the spell erupted around them, creating a fissure in the Multiverse, with Parker changing again it so that only people that knew he was Spider-Man before the reveal would know, so Strange quickly shut it down before chaos ensued and stored it inside the Macchina di Kadavus.
Annoyed that his spell was changed, Strange told Parker that it did not work, and explained that the problem was him trying to live two different lives. When Strange learnt that Parker tried to get him to brainwash the world before speaking to the people at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, he promply removed him from the Sanctum.
Capturing Multiversal Visitors
I thought you stopped the spell?"
"No, I contained it, but it would appear that a few of them squeaked through. After you left, I detected an otherworldly presence. I pursued it into the sewers, where I found that slimy, green, son of a gun.Peter Parker and Doctor Strange
Soon after, Strange detected an other worldly presence, and went to investigate, finding Lizard in the sewers, so he put him in a cell under the Sanctum, realizing that the spell had caused people from the Multiverse that knew Parker was Spider-Man to be brought over to their universe. Strange used his Sling Ring to bring back Parker, who had encountered another one, Doctor Octopus, who Strange put in a cell also. He explained to Parker how he was only able to contain the spell, which is why a few people have managed to cross the Multiverse.
Seeking to remedy the situation, Strange then tasked Parker with locating the rest and bringing them back to the Sanctum while he figured out a way to return them to their respective universes before they destroyed the fabric of reality. Strange upgraded Parker's Spider-Man Suit and Web-Shooters with a magic device so that he could transport any universe-displaced people directly to a cell in the Sanctum. Parker then told Strange that he would still help in finding the people, so Strange went to find Parker’s friends.
Strange found Michelle Jones and Ned Leeds, and brought them to the Sanctum, where they asked about how the people got to their universe, so Strange explained how Parker's attempts to get them all into college led to the spell that went wrong. Wanting to get the problem over with, Strange reminded them to get to work and start looking for any more trespassers from the Multiverse. However, after Jones called him out for being the one that messed up the spell, Strange sees her point and told them to get to work, allowing them to use the undercroft.
Later, Strange returned to the Sanctum’s undercroft and saw that Sandman and Electro had been added into the cells. He then spotted Norman Osborn and transported him into a cell. He revealed that he had used the Macchina di Kadavus, an ancient relic to trap the corrupted spell, and only needed to complete the ritual to reverse what had been done. Parker told Strange not to go through with the plan, as it meant sending them to their deaths, but Strange was adamant on upholding their fates, so he began the ritual to send them back.
Before Strange could complete the ritual, Parker snatched the Macchina di Kadavus away from him, and used his upgraded gauntlet to put Strange in a cell with Sandman, as he ran away. Strange was able to walk out of the cell, and followed Parker outside the Sanctum, using an Inter-Dimensional Portal to prevent him from leaving. Strange removed the gauntlet from Parker, and pushed his astral form out of his body, but was unable to take back the Macchina due to Parker's Spider-Sense.
Parker managed to return to his physical body, and began swinging away, so Strange sent the Cloak of Levitation after him, allowing Strange to open the Mirror Dimension and put Parker in it. Being in complete control in the Mirror Dimension, Strange manipulated the environment as he pursued Spider-Man, leading to them facing off on top of a train in Central Park. Strange told Spider-Man that the spell could not get loose as an infinite number of people would cross into their universe, but Spider-Man was determined to change the fate before sending them back.
Strange opened a portal above and below Spider-Man, causing him to fall endlessly with the Cloak grabbing the Macchina. Parker collided the two portals into each other, making the Mirror Dimension alter around them and making them appear by the Grand Canyon in Arizona. The Macchina fell, so Strange flew after it. Strange retrieved the Macchina and opened a portal out of the Mirror Dimension.
Spider-Man used his knowledge of geometry to web Strange up. As he boasted that math was cooler than magic, Spider-Man took the Macchina and then used his webs to take Strange's Sling Ring. He then went through the portal, leaving Strange tied up in the Mirror Dimension.
Everyone who knows and loves you, we... we'd have no memory of you. It would be as though you never existed."
"I know. Do it.Doctor Strange and Spider-Man
After being stuck in the Grand Canyon within the Mirror Dimension for twelve hours, Strange managed to escape and come through an Inter-Dimensional Portal opened up by Ned Leeds to the Statue of Liberty. Being greeted by Leeds and Michelle Jones, Strange reclaimed his Sling Ring and the Macchina di Kadavus, and was informed that Parker's plan to cure the universe-displaced people was working, as they witnessed Lizard turning back into a human. Surprised, Strange learned that Leeds was the one who opened the portals, something that impressed him.
Strange went to confront Parker, who introduced him to his two counterparts from other universes, and reminded him that they had to send everyone back. But at that moment, Green Goblin attacked them with his Razor Bats and snatched the Macchina, so Strange used an Eldritch Whip to get it back, only to find a Pumpkin Bomb had been placed inside of it. With the Macchina destroyed, the unstable spell became loose, and despite Strange's efforts to contain it again, he could not, and the Multiverse started to crack open. Strange used his magic to close the cracks, but the spell could not be stopped.
Parker suggested to cast the spell again how it was meant to be done, but Strange stated that it was too late, as infinite amounts of people from the Multiverse were coming through. Parker then told Strange to cast a new spell to make everyone forget who he was. Strange warned Parker of the severity of the spell, but he accepted it, so Strange told him to say his goodbyes and began casting the spell. The spell worked and the universe-displaced were sent back to their universes, along with the infinite number of people, and everyone in his universes forgot Parker's existence, including Strange himself.
In 2025, Strange dreamt of a young girl and an alternate version of himself running from a ribboned creature in an unknown location. The creature ended up killing the alternate version of himself and tried to capture the girl, but she opened up a star-shaped portal that caused her and the deceased Strange to fall through. Strange suddenly woke up breathing hard in his bed at the New York Sanctum. After looking around to calm himself, he grabbed his wrist watch.
Christine Palmer's Wedding
It was never gonna work out between us."
"Because, Stephen... You have to be the one holding the knife. And I always respected you for it, but I couldn't love you for it.Christine Palmer and Stephen Strange
Strange then got dressed before a mirror, but when he attempted to use his hands to tie his tie, he short cuffed it and used his magic to do so. He put his Cloak of Levitation inside his suit front pocket and then left the Sanctum and arrived at a nearby church, where he had been invited to attend Christine Palmer’s wedding.
Strange then took his seat in a pew and was pleasantly surprised when Nicodemus West came in and sat beside him. West told Strange he hadn’t seen him in awhile, in which Strange remarked that he had disappeared for five years. West acknowledged that and remarked that he too had been a victim of the Blip. He then asked Strange if he was right with his actions in the Infinity War in that there was only one way to defeat Thanos.
Strange reassured him of this, stating there was only one way. West told him that ever since he had been restored to life he had been wondering if there was any other way as to have avoided the Snap. He told Strange that he had lost his two pet cats and brother in the time he was gone. Strange expressed his condolences and understood how emotional the event had been. Strange then saw Palmer walk inside as the wedding began. As flower girls threw up flowers as she entered, Strange held his composure, albeit was emotional upon seeing her get married to someone else.
After the wedding, Strange was invited to the reception at a fancy restaurant in a high-rise building close by. While there, he got a drink at the bar and ran into Christine Palmer, who came to fill her glass with wine. As she asked the bartender for some more, Strange used magic to fill her glass instead. He then congratulated her on her wedding, in which she appreciated and told him that her husband was actually a fan of his. As she started to leave, he addressed her and told her that he still had feelings for her. Palmer understood, but told him that they could never work out due to his personality. Although she wanted to remain friends with him. He asked her if she was happy with her husband, and she told him she really was. She then asked him, and he told her he was, although not as happy as he wanted to be. She then excused herself to tend to her guests.
Battle Against Gargantos
Strange sipped his glass only to hear a car crash outside and people screaming. As guests rushed to the balcony to see what was going on, Strange followed. Upon seeing that there was chaos in the streets, Strange handed his glass to the bartender and took out the Cloak of Levitation out of his suit pocket and leaped off the balcony, changing into his sorcerer's suit.
Strange pursued where the chaos was coming from, witnessing a woman nearly get knocked over. He put up protective shields and used his magic to conjure giant hands to help him try and stop the invisible creature.
Strange descended onto the street and watched as a girl hopped onto a bus. After seeing that the girl was the same person from his dream, he became confused. When the bus was lifted off the ground, Strange became more confused but then used his magic to release the invisibility surrounding it and exposed Gargantos, a one-eyed tentacled inter-dimensional creature.
Strange used his magic to slice off one of Gargantos’s tentacles in order for him to release the bus. As the girl fell out of the bus, the Cloak went and saved her, bringing her back to Strange. Strange turned to talk to her, but she told him to look out as the bus was thrown back at him.
Strange used his powers to slice the bus in half and keep it from hitting them. He then turned around and asked the girl who she was before getting swatted aside by Gargantos, who knocked him into Jonas & James where he was knocked unconscious.
When Strange regained consciousness, he found that his Cloak was missing. He then hopped onto a taxi and observed what was happening. He saw Wong had arrived, but was held within Gargantos' grasp. Strange conjured an ax and threw it at the tentacle releasing Wong. Strange told him he was welcome, while Wong stated that it was custom to bow before the Sorcerer Supreme, and Strange said he was fully aware of the customs.
Strange and Wong then used Eldritch Whips to grab onto Gargantos, who was still chasing the girl. The girl had been taken onto a high rise building and Gargantos was scaling the building to get to her. Strange used his magic to knock away its tentacle as it tried to grab the girl. However, this didn’t work, and Gargantos knocked aside Wong and grabbed Strange.
The Cloak arrived and covered Gargantos' eye as Strange used the giant hands to lift up a nearby lamppost. The Cloak removed itself just as Strange forced the lamppost into Gargantos’s eyeball. He then used the giant hand to pull the lamppost out taking the whole eyeball with it. Strange was released and the now dead Gargantos fell to the street below.
Meeting the Multiversal Traveler
Afterwards, Strange and Wong demanded answers from the girl. However, she ran away from them and Strange realised she had taken his Sling Ring. Wong then used his Sling Ring to transport them to where was. Cornered, the girl was forced to speak to them and told them she could travel the Multiverse.
Strange and Wong decided to take the girl to Mancini’s Pizzeria where they could more. The girl asked them if they had any experience with the Multiverse. Strange told her that they did in an event recently with Spider-Man. The girl asked if Spider-Man had the powers of a spider but Strange told her more of a man. The girl asked where his webs came out of and Strange stated he had Web-Shooters. The girl then commented that the pizza was really good and that her stomach may be different as she was from another universe. Strange then asked her why she was being chased by creatures.
The girl then told them about Strange’s variant and how he had betrayed her, after which Strange stated he was in his dream as well. However, the girl told him it wasn’t a dream. She said they were searching for a book of pure magic and Strange deduced it was the Book of Vishanti, which he stated was not real. Wong told him it was but was unreachable. The girl said she had found it though. Strange then told the girl to prove that what she was saying wasn’t a dream.
She took them to a building’s rooftop and showed them Strange’s variant’s corpse. When asked what should happen to the body as it would break violations, Strange used his magic to lift the body and place it a block of dirt. He then said he had buried worse. Wong asked the girl what her name was and she introduced herself as America Chavez. She was invited to Kamar-Taj and Strange then noted that the symbols on Gargantos and the variant weren’t of sorcery and were of witchcraft. When Wong asked who could know such a thing, Strange told them he knew of someone who could help.
Reunion with Wanda Maximoff
We've got our defenses, but... We could use an Avenger."
"There are other Avengers."
"Yeah, but given a choice between the archer with a mohawk, and several bug-themed crimefighters, or... One of the most powerful magic wielders on the planet, it's an easy call.Doctor Strange and Wanda Maximoff
Searching for somebody who may know something about witchcraft and the Multiverse, Strange thought of Wanda Maximoff. He travelled to her location and found her living in a cabin on an apple tree field with sheep. He approached her as she was gardening, plucking tree branches and placing them in crates. He asked her if the apples were real and she told him that they were very real.
She told him she assumed he was there to ta about Westview and stated that she had hurt people. He told her that he wasn’t there to talk about Westview acknowledging that Maximoff had done the right thing and taken down her Hex as he thought she would. She asked why he was there and he said he needed her help, in which he asked her what she knew of the Multiverse.
They went walking and she told him that Vision believed it to be real and dangerous. Strange stated that he was right. Strange then told her that a girl had arrived and was being chased by creatures. He told Maximoff that he needed her help as she was an Avenger, but she said there were others he could ask. Strange told her that between Hawkeye, Ant-Man, Wasp, and Spider-Man, she was the only logical answer. He offered Maximoff to come to Kamar-Taj, but she suggested that he bring America Chavez to her instesd, causing Strange to pause and stop walking.
Beginning to deduce that Maximoff knew more than she let on, he became disappointed. When Maximoff saw that Strange had figured it out, she told him that the Hex was easy but lying not so much. She then removed the illusion surrounding the field, revealing a barren desolate landscape. Strange then saw Maximoff’s Scarlet Witch uniform and watched as she summoned the Darkhold. He recognised it and pondered what it had done to Maximoff, knowing its corrupting powers. Maximoff told him that it merely revealed the truth that her two children were alive and that she was planning on escaping to an alternate universe to be with them. Strange retorted that she had created her children and they weren’t real.
He said that what she was going to do was breaking every law of reality, but she told him that taking Chavez’s powers was for the greater good. Strange replied that her reasoning was the same justification for their enemies, but she countered saying that Strange was contradictory, noting how he gave the Time Stone to Thanos. Strange told her that that was a war and he had no choice. She then told him to go back to Kamar-Taj and prepare to hand over Chavez by sundown. As she walked away, he asked her what would happen if they didn’t and she told him that they would meet the Scarlet Witch.
Wanda, you are justifiably angry. You had to make terrible sacrifices."
"I blew a hole through the head of the man I loved. And it meant nothing. Do not speak to me of sacrifice, Stephen Strange.Doctor Strange and Scarlet Witch
Strange returned to Kamar-Taj and told Wong, America Chavez, and other Masters of the Mystic Arts that the Darkhold has control over Wanda Maximoff and that she was coming from Chavez. Wong explained how powerful the Scarlet Witch was and Strange noted that she had used her mind to take over a whole town. Chavez looked at him suspiciously noting that the person he had gone to ask for help was the same person after her. Strange then prepared as Wong ordered Kamar-Taj become a fortress.
After the students and Masters went out to defend Kamar-Taj, Strange and Wong joined them. They watched as a large dark cloud rolled in, soon covering the atmosphere in darkness. Strange then looked up and saw Maximoff flying within the clouds. As he was to speak to her, Wong told him to choose his words wisely.
Strange then flew up to speak with her as the clouds dissipated. Maximoff told him that all she wanted was them to hand over Chavez. Strange told her they couldn’t do that and when he mentioned sacrifices, Maximoff became angry. She stated that she had sacrificed everything, mentioning how she had used her powers to destroy Vision, but that meant nothing as the Snap still happened. Maximoff moved closer and asked him to sympathise with her, asking if there was an universe where he could be happy with Christine Palmer wouldn’t he go there. Strange refused to do so, and Maximoff told him to remember that what she did next was reasonable.
Maximoff shot a blast of her chaos magic at him, but the protective shields surrounding the perimeter blocked her. Strange then descended down to stand by Wong and the Masters. As Maximoff furiously tried to break the shields, Strange observed her actions. He then saw that she had stopped blasting the shield and was trying to use her telepathy powers. She was able to mind control a student in removing his shield allowing for her to break inside.
Maximoff blasted buildings and Masters aside, creating fires in the courtyards. Her blasts were strong enough to cause Strange to clutch his side. He then told everyone to fall back, knowing that they couldn’t stop her. When Wong stayed behind, Strange yelled at him to follow.
Strange used a trap that he set up to stall Maximoff by trapping her in the Mirror Dimension. He and Wong met up with Chavez, who had been hiding in a room with Hamir and another Master. He told her they needed to get her out of there as Kamar-Taj had fallen. Suddenly, doors slammed shut around them and Hamir and the Master were taken away through puddles on the floor. Strange realized that Maximoff was using reflections to escape the Dimension and told them to cover them up. 
Along with Wong and Chavez, Strange put blankets and other objects over the puddles on the floor. Despite their efforts, Wanda emerged from a gong and demanded Doctor Strange to hand over America to her. Strange attempted to talk some sense into Wanda once more, by telling her that her children don't exist. Wanda insisted that Billy and Tommy were present in other realities, and proved her point by telling Strange, Wong and Chavez that she dreams about her sons, before showing them how happy Wanda's other variants were with their children, using the Darkhold.
Doctor Strange and America Chavez sadly watched the visions projected from the pages of the Darkhold play out, before the book closes and Wanda states that "she wakes up to find herself in the same nightmare", referring to her world without Billy and Tommy. Strange then asked that, if Wanda were to reach her boys in another universe, what would happen to their mother, to which Wanda responded by gritting her teeth angrily at him. Sensing an incoming attack, Doctor Strange unhesitatingly summoned several serpentine dragons to attack Maximoff, only for them to be finished off quickly and then get thrown aside to allow Wanda to capture America.
Fortunately, as Wanda began to absorb Chavez's power, the latter involuntarily opened one of her portals behind her. Doctor Strange took this as an opportunity to dive after her. In the process, Scarlet Witch blasted a fiery ball of Chaos Magic, which burnt a hole in the Cloak of Levitation as the sorcerer and the girl entered the portal.
Trip Through the Multiverse
Surprised you didn't puke."
"That's not my first weird trip, kid.America Chavez and Doctor Strange
After plummeting through several dimensions in the Multiverse, Strange and Chavez landed on the roof of a building in New York City of Earth-838. Upon catching his breath, Doctor Strange asked America if she was okay, to which she answered in amazement that he had saved her and was surprised that Strange didn't vomit from the interdimensional trip. Strange recalled his first trip through the Multiverse that the Ancient One sent him on to America, and was intrigued by the way New York City looked like on the alternate Earth, only to be interrupted by his own stomach, and rushed over to a nearby chimney to go vomit into it, much to America's disgust.
Arrival in Dimension 838
What about the Book of Vishanti?"
"What about it?"
"Other you thought it could stop whoever was after me."
"Yeah, well, good for other me. He's not here, is he? I don't know where it is. So unless there's another other me...America Chavez and Doctor Strange
To be added
Trial by the Illuminati
Do you seriously think I'm a bigger threat than the Scarlet Witch?"
"Oh, we can handle your little witch if she decides to dreamwalk."
"No. No, you cannot, not unless you give me the Book of Vishanti.Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel
After being released from his imprisonment by the Ultron Sentries, he was guided through the Illuminati Headquarters by the sentries. They threw him into a new room, and closed the door. He looked forward to find himself looking at Baron Mordo, who then introduced Strange to the members of the Illuminati- Captain Carter, Black Bolt, Maria Rambeau, Reed Richards, and Mordo himself. Strange quips to Richards about the Fantastic Four, who was amused. Richards informs Strange of the situation at hand, that how his presence on this Earth destabilized reality, and further increased the possibility of a Incursion. Strange was unaware of the term Incursion, so Richards explained the concept.
Strange, in attempt to defend himself, warns them that the Scarlet Witch is a far greater threat to the Multiverse than him, but his attempt fails as he is shut down by Captain Marvel. Reed Richards then explains to Strange that he is more dangerous than the Scarlet Witch, which confuses Strange. The Illuminati tells him about how the 838 version of Strange became corrupted by the Darkhold, and eventually abused it to the point that another universe was destroyed. They inform him that the other Strange was then willingly executed, which led to the Illuminati's belief that every Earth's Strange is capable of causing extreme chaos to the multiverse.
Attack on the Illuminati Headquarters
They're not coming back. And you just cast your vote now to kill your friends. Not that that ever bothered you before. You know, you hated me where I came from. I bet secretly, 'my brother', you hated me here. You must've been so jealous. Do you know what? I bet you were thrilled when you heard I've been corrupted, hell, you probably gave me the Darkhold to begin with.Doctor Strange to Baron Mordo
To be added
Entering the Gap Junction
To be added
Fighting Corrupted Strange
Look, I'm sorry you couldn't save your own universe, but maybe, you could help to save mine?Doctor Strange to Doctor Strange
After being sent to an incursion-destroyed universe, by America Chavez, under the control of Scarlet Witch, Strange and Christine Palmer headed towards its New York Sanctum, where he discovered another version of himself, who had evidently failed to prevent the destruction of his own universe through an Incursion, in hopes to gain the Darkhold from his variant, to commute to another universe.
After reaching there, his variant asked him to verify his own identity, which resulted in Strange talking about the thing only Strange would know, that he had a sister named Donna who had died due to drowning. Strange emotionally said that he had failed to save her, which gained the variant's trust. When Strange asked his variant why his universe was left in such a horrible state, the Variant stated it was due to the influence of the Darkhold on him. Upon realizing that his variant possesses the Darkhold, Strange asked him to give the book to him, so that he could save his reality from the wrath of the Scarlet Witch, offering the variant it doesn't matter that he could not save his reality but he could help save another one through his help.
However, his variant had warned him against using the cursed book, saying that the Darkhold not only takes on the fate of reality, but it also takes a heavy toll on the user's soul, much to the awe of Strange. Strange was told by his counterpart about his past, who talked about how his deep unfulfilled obsession with his Christine Palmer, resulted in his alternate self to seek the Darkhold in a search for universes where he was devoid of the pain of losing Palmer, saying that he never meant for his reality to be destroyed. His variant continued on to say that this led him to hunt down all counterparts of himself who were happy despite the lack of Palmer in their lives, and then killing them through dreamwalking into their bodies to force themselves to death, telling him that the Darkhold exacts a heavy toll, after which his variant showed his third eye, much to Strange's horror.
His variant said that the only way that he could have the Darkhold would be if he gave him his version of Palmer, much to Strange's fury. Seeing no other options, Strange engaged him in a battle with his variant, with Strange using musical notes around the Sanctum Sanctorum, and turning them into spells to attack his Darkhold empowered variant. Throughout the fight, Strange struggled to win against his variant, due to the variant being empowered by the Darkhold, however he eventually managed to turn the battle into his favour. He trapped all of his spells along with his variant's in a powerful energy ball, and then attacking his variant with it, allowing Strange to kill his counterpart and retrieve the Darkhold.
Battle of Wundagore Mountain
Using the retrieved Darkhold, Strange decides to use it to dreamwalk into his home dimension to protect America. Because he needs control over a variant of himself in his dimension, he recovers the body of Defender Strange and takes control of it, warning Palmer of the demons that would come in wake of possessing a dead body. With Palmer’s help he took control of the demons and used them to make his way to Wundagore, helping fight Wanda and encourage America so that she could create portals on her own. Once Wanda decided to rid the Multiverse of the Darkhold for good, destroying Defender Strange’s body, and releasing Strange rom his dream walking. Wong and America later made their way to the reality Strange and Palmer were trapped in, taking the two back to their respective dimensions.
You caused an incursion, and we're going to fix it. Unless you're afraid."
"Not in the least.Clea and Doctor Strange
With the Scarlet Witch and the Darkhold being no longer a threat, Strange and Wong rebuilt Kamar-Taj and resumed teaching of the Masters of the Mystic Arts. Strange walked near America Chavez, who joined the Masters to learn mystic arts but had troubles with using the Sling Ring, which prompted Wong to compare Chavez to Strange, due to Chavez's impatience. Talking about Strange's dreamwalking experience, Strange asked Wong was he happy, remarking that saving the world does not nessesary brings one happiness. Wong replied that despite everything, he is grateful for his current life, before Strange was approached by Chavez who managed to make some sparks and Strange told her that her parents would be proud.
Returning to the New York Sanctum, Strange took his time to repair his watch that Christine Palmer gifted to him. Strange then decided to take a walk on New York City streets, however, he suddenly collapsed on the ground and cried out in pain. As the results of his dreamwalking, Strange's third eye on his forehead opened, but Strange managed to take ahold of himself. Later, Strange was apporoached by Clea who informed him that his actions did not go unnoticed and caused an incursion and now they need to fix it. Clea then opened a portal to the Dark Dimension and asked if he was afraid to join her but Strange replied that it was far from the truth, revealing his third eye to her.
Prior to his accident, Strange had a massive ego that fueled his career. As a result, Strange only took on patients that he believed would help benefit his status, even refusing to heal a US Army Colonel's back, albeit it was because this injury was a simple one any neurosurgeon can fix. His work was also driven by a desire to control death and time, which led him to refuse even looking into any patient he perceived to have little chance of recovery to avoid ruining his track record. However, if he also perceived the chance a patient could survive, he would help them recover even if it would not benefit his public image, showing that at his core, he does care about saving people. In addition, he seemed to prioritize his research over his physician work, as he stated his work would save thousands for years to come, whereas a physician would only save a handful of patients that they'd have to directly interact with. This, however, changed after his accident, which left Strange a broken man and constantly frustrated due to being incapable of returning to the life he knew. Upon visiting Kamar-Taj, Strange initially maintained his narrow-minded arrogance and stubbornly refused to believe that the Ancient One was telling the truth until she forcibly demonstrated astral projection and sent him across multiple dimensions to prove her point.
Strange has shown extreme determination and stubbornness, a useful trait in a doctor as he would never give up on his patients even when one was called dead with a bullet in his brain, Strange was able to determine the patient was still alive to successfully save him. He spent most of his remaining money in seven different surgeries to attempt to heal his hands to the point of near bankruptcy, remained outside of Kamar-Taj's front door for five hours after being initially thrown out, then spent most of his time at Kamar-Taj studying and improving his abilities, even going as far as studying while sleeping through Astral projection. He even allowed himself to be violently killed by countless times by Dormammu until Dormammu gave in to his demands and later giving up the Time Stone to Thanos in exchange for saving Stark’s life when he was about to be killed by the Mad Titan despite initially wanting to save the Time Stone first. All of this at the cost of his own life, this made him one of the few people to have earned Stark’s respect. Despite his determined and stubborn attitude, Strange has shown to be the voices of reason to those around him.
Through his training with the Ancient One, Strange gained a newfound appreciation for the natural order of things due to his studies of the Mystic Arts and became more humble. However, this was not to say he was a completely changed man; he retained a cocky attitude when dealing with people and things, as seen in how he behaved when he went to borrow books from Wong. This, coupled with his inquisitiveness and willingness to break rules, made him an odd one in Kamar-Taj and constantly an annoyance to many of his peers. However, due to this nature of his, he was also more willing to compromise and be somewhat flexible with his principles, quickly accepting that the Ancient One broke her own rules to do what was deemed necessary to protect the world, and he had to be willing to do so himself, which, when combined with his natural talent in the Mystic Arts, had the Ancient One name him as the new Master of the New York Sanctum, despite his relative lack of training and inexperience.
Having trained as a doctor, Strange is a pacifist as he tries to avoid in killing and physically harming people, as it goes against the Hippocratic oath. He was disgusted by his actions in killing Lucian Aster, stating he became a doctor to save lives, not take them. However, neither the Ancient One nor Karl Mordo was especially sympathetic towards this, with the former stating it was his towering ego and delusion that he could control death itself that made him become a doctor and the latter simply calling him a coward for not having the spine to do what has to be done. Nevertheless, Strange claimed that there were other ways to defeat their enemies, a claim he ultimately proved correct by defeating Dormammu without killing him. However, overtime, Strange has come to terms that he would have to forsaken his pacifist in killing and physically harming people in order to do what's right, but it mostly shows that he did grow a spine in order to do what needed to be done. Strange even goes to the point of not caring what happens to anyone that has mental and physical issues, as shown when he was going to allow a group of villains from different universes with their own Spider-Men to return to their universes and meet their fates instead of helping them, which goes against his nature as a doctor, although his intentions were to preserve the safety of the Multiverse.
Although he comes off as arrogant and genuinely selfish, Strange does always have good intentions and is open-minded. After his talk with Kaecilius, Strange began to see his own failings reflected in him and started showing signs of self-improvement, as shown when he expressed a newfound trust in his former rival Nicodemus West. During his talk with the Ancient One before her death, he admitted that his fear of failure is what pushed him to be a successful neurosurgeon. However, the Ancient One stated that his fear is exactly what kept him from greatness, as well as learning the simplest and most important lesson of all; it's not about him. Strange took this very much to heart, and when he faced Dormammu, he showed strong selflessness, allowing himself to be killed over and over in order to keep Dormammu trapped in the time loop so mankind could live and came to stop fearing failure. However, despite his tremendous maturity, Strange maintains some of his old habits such as making sarcastic comments and jokes when talking to others, similar to Tony Stark and Peter Quill.
Through his intelligence, Strange is able to imagine unorthodox solutions to problems, even when he lacked experience of using powerful magical relics. Strange has also learnt to comprehend his limits and despite his success at the hands of Dormammu's defeat, he has begun to realize the natural order should not be entirely disturbed, the same reason why Mordo left the Mystic Arts and vows to never use the Eye of Agamotto until he is fully prepared. This was his second greatest lesson to learn; that time is beyond even his control. He also retains his meticulous and diligence by forming a watchlist of individuals that might pose a threat to Earth. However, his flexibility is his greatest strength in this regard as, even though he wants to be rid of these individuals, he was willing to help Thor locate Odin so he and Loki would return to Asgard. During Thor's visit, Strange was visibly annoyed and wary of the Asgardians but remained polite towards him.
Although he has a good heart, Strange had a pride that he refused to swallow, which was something he had before becoming a sorcerer and superhero. Strange's pride at times would have him placing the blame on others instead of taking responsibility for his actions or mistakes, as shown when he blamed Christine Palmer, Nicodemus West and other doctors for ruining his life because he wouldn't accept the fact that the car accident was caused by his carelessness and lack of regard for his safety, and Peter Parker for botching up the spells that was meant to help restore his secret identity as Spider-Man, even though they were both to blame for the incident. However, when he does realized how badly he messed up, Strange would make an honest effort in making amends for his actions and mistakes, as he swallowed his pride to genuinely apologizes to Christine Palmer for his past treatment towards her, and nicely asked Peter Parker and his friends for help in fixing the situation the two superheroes have caused, after Michelle Jones made a fair point to him that the spell he did was mostly his fault. Also, Strange refused to direct magic into his body to heal his hands like Jonathan Pangborn, presumably to be reminded of his mistakes in the past that led him to leave his old life as a neurosurgeon behind and the beginning of his new one as a sorcerer/superhero.
Strange's imagination and intellect have given him a vastly flexible personality, so much so the Ancient One could never see exactly what his future would be, only possible paths he would take. Due to his inquisitiveness, Strange is easily able to adapt and teach himself light years ahead of even experienced sorcerers like Mordo and Kaecilius. Once he started to get the hang of his sorcery studies, he began to teach himself and was able to learn at an accelerated rate. In addition, Strange does see potential in individuals that also possess magic abilities, as shown with Ned Leeds, although he was skeptical at first, when he was impressed that he opened a portal without any training. After his car crash, Strange's hands suffered from constant shaking, but it faded overtime, due to his training as a sorcerer.
Strange has confessed to his alternate self and later to another universe Christine Palmer, that the reason why he often comes off as aloof and arrogant, as well as controlling and sometimes paranoid is due to his childhood trauma of having to watch his younger sister drown because he was unable to do anything to save her. The sense of helplessness that he felt that day has developed into a need to always keep everything under control, due to his own fear of ever having to go through such trauma again. Also, Strange developed a fear of losing those who are closes to him and would lay down his life to ensure their safety. Strange is noted to have a severe case of misophonia, meaning he is greatly distracted by even the slightest sound when he requires absolute focus. This was shown when he was operating on a patient and asked Nicodemus West to cover his watch as the ticking was distracting him.
Although he can get annoyed or frustrated with his friends, fellow sorcerers and superheroes sometimes, Strange does genuinely care about them, especially those who are closes to him. Strange would even help them if they are in need of his services. Also, Strange has shown great respect for his fellow sorcerers and superheroes for their selflessness in protecting everyone in the world. In addition, Strange tries not to hurt or damage his friends lives, as shown when he was reluctant to tell his fellow superheroes, especially Tony Stark, the final outcome against Thanos as he hoped for another way to defeat him until he realized that there wasn't and had no choice but to make sure the only victory against the mad titan would happen. However, despite his and his allies victory against Thanos, Strange has been secretly blaming himself for how the lives of his friends and fellow superheroes got damaged because of his actions in sacrificing Tony Stark's life just to save the universe, such as Peter Parker, who's identity as Spider-Man got exposed by one of his enemies and ruined his life, and Wanda Maximoff, who had to kill someone she cared about to stop Thanos, which ended up being for nothing, created a hex in a town, got corrupted by the Darkhold and became the Scarlet Witch. Although, Strange's guilt was also because he had come to see Stark as a friend.
Strange has shown to be annoyed with kids and teenagers as he not only didn't like them very much, but also had a low opinion about them, even going to the point of not wanting any of his own. However, despite his opinion on kids and teenagers, Strange would show a soft spot for them, especially if they are orphaned such as Peter Parker and America Chavez, although it maybe due to feeling sympathy for those who have also lost a family member at a young age. Strange even came to respect Peter Parker's friends, as he didn't argue back when Jones called him out for blaming the whole botched up spell on their friend and doesn't get angry at Leeds for using his Sling Ring. Also, Strange would still protect kids and teenagers whenever they were endanger, as shown when he had the Cloak of Levitation save Leeds from falling at the Statue of Liberty and protected Chavez from the Scarlet Witch.
Through his soft spot for Peter Parker, Strange attempted to look out for him and tried to guide him just like Tony Stark did. Although he was annoyed and frustrated with Parker because of his opinion on teenagers, Strange did understand that his intentions were good and his heart was in the right place. Also, despite being harsh with the young superhero sometimes, Strange truly cared about Parker and consider him a close friend. Strange was even impressed with Parker's intelligence and comes to admire his kindness towards those in need. Through his friendship with Parker, Strange learned to have a heart in saving lives again, after realizing that he lost himself and how heartless he was becoming, and that everyone deserves a second chance whether they are good or bad. In addition, Strange hesitated to do a spell that will make the world, including himself, forget who Peter Parker was, as he not only didn't want to forget him, but also didn't want to ruin his life even further that it already was. Although, Strange went through with Parker's plan to erase himself because he understood that there was no other option to preserve the Multiverses and fix the mistake the two superheroes have made.
However, despite having no memory of the young superhero's civilian identity, Strange deep down still held onto Parker's influences and what he taught him, as he becomes compassionate and kinder towards those in need. Strange even used what he learned from his forgotten friendship with Parker to help and guide another young superhero in America Chavez. Also, after witnessing Wanda Maximoff being possessed by the Darkhold, Strange gave her various chances of redemption as he knew there was still good within her and was proven right with Chavez's help. Strange was even able to use the Darkhold without losing himself or letting it corrupt him through not only his strong willpower but also his feelings of love and friendship.
At first, Strange was annoyed with Chavez because of her smart attic attitude and that she had no supervision or being shown the differences between from right and wrong, such as stealing. However, Strange ended up bonding with Chavez as they form a father and daughter relationship, as he decided to help Wong take care of her when she decided to stay in their universe. Also, Strange encouraged and believed in Chavez, as he inspired her to fight back against the Scarlet Witch and find the strength in controlling her powers.
- Magic: As the master of the New York Sanctum, Doctor Strange possesses an extremely high level of mastery over magic which he used to defend his native reality. With the death of the Ancient One, Doctor Strange is currently the most powerful member of the Masters of the Mystic Arts. Indeed, despite his initial inexperience, an impressed Karl Mordo and Wong claimed that Strange's prodigious skills meant that he was "born for the mystic arts," and the Ancient One herself noted that Strange has tremendous potential as a sorcerer. Indeed, even while still inexperienced, Strange was able to use the powers of the Time Stone's container, the Eye of Agamotto, quite effectively and safely, despite it being considered to be very dangerous for the natural order. With the help of numerous mystical artifacts and relics, in addition to his astral powers, Strange is able to gain access to a multitude of mystical powers. Strange makes up for his lack of experience with his gifted intellect, photographic memory, and ingenuity, as he swiftly imprisoned Loki, an extremely skilled master of Asgardian Sorcery, and even defeated Kaecilius by outsmarting Dormammu, forcing the latter to leave Earth's dimension and take Kaecilius with him. Strange was predicted by Zola's algorithm to become a significant enough potential threat to HYDRA to be targeted by Project Insight. By the time of the Infinity War, Strange dramatically improved his power and skill in magic as he received more training and gained more experience. He proved capable of single-handedly combating Thanos' use of the Infinity Gauntlet more effectively than the Guardians of the Galaxy and even Iron Man, with even the Titan himself praising Strange for his use of the Mystic Arts. The Ancient One stated long before Doctor Strange became a Master of the Mystic Arts that he was always meant to be the best of them. Later on, Doctor Strange was able to grow his power to such a level that he was able to contend against the likes of Scarlet Witch, despite her superior innate power. After tapping into the power of the Darkhold and accessing his third eye, Strange’s magic has been increased to unknown levels.
- Eldritch Magic: Strange is able to shape and manipulate Eldritch Magic, forming tangible constructs of energy, such as weapons or shields, as well as cast spells by writing specific formations with the fiery energy. Strange had demonstrated the ability to form his Eldritch Whips and Tao Mandalas, the latter of which he was even capable of manifesting as large spherical barrier around himself, Iron Man, and Spider-Man to shield them from the impact of Ebony Maw's Q-Ship crashing on Titan. During the Battle of Titan, Strange demonstrated being able to conjure platforms for his allies to walk upon, as shown when Star-Lord jumped across them to attack Thanos. Additionally, he was able to craft a sword from Eldritch Magic that he used to engage the Titan alongside Drax. Strange was able to imbue one of Peter's web-shooters with Eldritch Magic, thus allowing the web-shooters to fire webs of Eldritch Magic that teleported them to the cells in the dungeon. Strange was also able to go intangible by surrounding himself in an aura of Eldritch magic to escape the dungeon after Peter put him into it. He can also create other weapons like a saw to cut through a bus thrown by Gargantos as well as use the musical notes on sheet music to throw at Sinister Strange.
- Spell Casting: Utilizing magic, Doctor Strange can cast various spells as long as he has practiced them prior to the casting. Strange used a locator spell by scanning a piece of Thor's hair with fiery energy, briefly conjuring Odin's symbol in the process, to aid in forming a portal that would take him to Odin. He conjured a wave of golden light that cleared the street of smoke and debris after Ebony Maw's Q-Ship landed in Greenwich Village, while also stopping the destructive windstorm the ship was causing. The smoke was expelled from the street and towards the sky. Oppositely, Strange used a wind spell to hold back the lake outside the Avengers Facility from rushing into the battlefield after its foundations were breached, gathering the water into a funnel and pushing it away. To protect the Eye of Agamotto from being stolen by Ebony Maw, Strange cast a spell upon the relic that burned anyone that attempts to take it, making it seemingly impossible to remove it unless the spell was removed, even if he were killed. Strange created a shield around Iron Man, Spider-Man, and himself when they crashed landed on Titan. During the Battle of Titan, Strange conjured dark red metallic bands to restrain Thanos' hand so he couldn't use the power of the Infinity Gauntlet. The bands were much stronger than the usual Eldritch Whip he uses to restrain enemies, notably able to restrict Thanos' use of the Gauntlet for a considerable period of time, although Thanos was able to eventually break out and redirect the force of the bands to knock Strange away. Strange also projected a spell in front of himself that transformed a singularity sent by Thanos into multitudes of blue butterflies, impressing the Mad Titan. During the same battle, Strange created dozens of copies of himself to attack Thanos with their Eldritch Whips. The duplicates, however, were quickly dispersed when Thanos released a wave of energy from the Power Stone, with only the real Strange remaining. During the Battle of Earth, Strange opened up numerous chasms in the earth, producing glowing purple tendrils of energy that forcefully lifted up Thanos' soldiers and dragged them into the ground before resealing themselves and vanishing. Strange created elongated magical ropes identical to Spider-Man's webs, that can transport individuals to his dungeon. Strange was able to teleport Peter Parker and Otto Octavius to his dungeon, without being anywhere near them. An important spell that Strange has cast is the Runes of Kof-Kol that erased everyone's memory that Peter Parker is Spider-Man. However this also included himself. Strange was able to design a circular saw causing it to split a bus thrown by Gargantos in half, as well as cast a spell that revealed the giant monster when it was invisible. During his fight with Sinister Strange, he was able to make tangible musical notes of energy to use them to attack his evil doppelgänger, as well as create forcefields.
- Portal Creation: Using a Sling Ring, Strange is able to open portals that lead to different locations, gaining the ability to both move across the material world and to other parts of the Multiverse. Strange can also teleport others at great speeds, with him notably causing a portal to move and engulf Thor and Loki, sending them to Odin's location, as well as rapidly open portals for Star-Lord and Spider-Man during their fight with Thanos. In addition, he can make portals small enough to reach through and grab things, such as several books from Wong's library or to exchange one object for another, as the portal he used to abduct Loki left a card bearing the address to the New York Sanctum in his place. Strange is also able to conjure portals cooperatively, as, during Ebony Maw's attempt to retrieve the Time Stone, he and Wong conjured separate portals to redirect several brick daggers back to Maw. There seem to be no limits to the distance Strange can reach with this power.
- Dimensional Travel: Using the same Sling Ring, Strange can travel between different dimensions of the Multiverse, crossing over different planes of existence or traveling across various forms of reality. Furthermore, Strange can forcibly transport others to another dimension, and later retrieve them, as he did when temporarily imprisoning Loki in a dimension where he was constantly falling, leaving him there for thirty minutes until Thor asked for his release. When the Black Order arrived to retrieve the Time Stone, Strange and Wong were able to send an attack by Ebony Maw back by opening portals to a void-like dimension.
- Energy Projection: Strange can project energy blasts, streams, and bolts of fiery energy. He notably generated powerful torrents of energy that ricocheted off several floating boulders, melting the surfaces they touched as they went, to attack Thanos. During his fight against Sinister Strange, he conjured energy blasts using musical notes.
- Mirror Dimension Magic: After his training at Kamar-Taj, Doctor Strange is able to manipulate Mirror Dimension Magic. Strange was notably able to access the Mirror Dimension and transport himself, Karl Mordo, and the Zealots within the parallel reality with ease. Additionally, Strange was also capable of conjuring a construct of the Mirror Dimension in the form of crystalline fractals that acted as a shield, absorbing an energy beam from the Power Stone, and was also able to send the fractals at Thanos. Strange can warp space within the Mirror Dimension, as demonstrated during his skirmish with Spider-Man within the dimension. He was able to trap Scarlet Witch in the Mirror Dimension for a short time before she used her reality warping to break free through the reflections in the ground and objects.
- Astral Projection: Strange is capable of separating his astral form from his body, gaining access to the Astral Dimension. He notably was able to assist Christine Palmer in operating on his physical body, demonstrating being able to make himself visible to her at will, using the use of the Mirror Dimension as a medium. Strange's astral body could also make his physical body glow from the inside out by putting his hand through it and touching it, which he used to allow Christine to better see his wound when she operated on him. As the Ancient One was dying, Strange was able to use his astral form to communicate with her astral form before her physical death. Notably, Strange found that as Palmer defibrillated his real body, his astral form would send out a blast of energy, which he used offensively while grappling with Lucian Aster's astral form, ultimately destroying it and killing him.
- Conjuration: Strange was able to make an umbrella stand appear in front of Thor for him to put down Mjølnir, which had been disguised as an umbrella, as well as make a tea cup appear in Thor's hand. He also was able to hide the Time Stone after secretly removing it from the Eye of Agamotto and later made it appear between his fingers, allowing it to float over to Thanos. He was also able to make red wine appear instantly in Christine Palmer’s glass during her wedding. He also conjured two massive hands to grab a pole to use it to defeat a Gargantos. Strange summoned extra-dimensional serpents to fight Scarlet Witch.
- Transmutation: During his meeting with Thor, Strange was able to turn a cup of tea into a large mug of beer that was also able to magically refill itself, much to Thor's pleasant surprise. After Bruce Banner crashed through the roof of the Sanctum, Strange was able to seamlessly transform the normal street clothes he was wearing into his blue robes. He repeated this process again when he changed from his suit to his blue robe so he could fight Gargantos. He also turned Christine Palmer's beverage into wine by pointing at her glass.
- Teleportation: Strange, while in the New York Sanctum, was able to transport himself and Thor around the building with ease, which was heavily disorienting to the Asgardian. At one point, he accidentally caused an entire bookshelf that Thor was leaning against to be brought along with them, before returning it and Thor to its previous location. However, he usually chooses to use his Sling Ring to teleport instead.
- Telekinesis: Strange can manipulate items and people psionically. He was able to use telekinesis to take away the Sling Ring from Ned Leeds, and the Macchina di Kadavus from Michelle Jones. He was also able to use his telekinesis to tie his tie as well as pulling a bus apart and put it back together.
- Fire Manipulation: Strange can generate and control the element of fire. He used this power to light a fire in the fireplace at the sanctum. He also summoned a type of green fire when fighting against Gargantos.
- Levitation: Using the Cloak of Levitation, Strange is able to levitate and hover. The Cloak can greatly lessen the impact of falling from great heights by effortlessly reducing his speed. He used his cloak to reach the heights of Scarlet Witch in the air to reason with her before her eventual attack and destruction of Kamar-Taj.
- Eldritch Magic: Strange is able to shape and manipulate Eldritch Magic, forming tangible constructs of energy, such as weapons or shields, as well as cast spells by writing specific formations with the fiery energy. Strange had demonstrated the ability to form his Eldritch Whips and Tao Mandalas, the latter of which he was even capable of manifesting as large spherical barrier around himself, Iron Man, and Spider-Man to shield them from the impact of Ebony Maw's Q-Ship crashing on Titan. During the Battle of Titan, Strange demonstrated being able to conjure platforms for his allies to walk upon, as shown when Star-Lord jumped across them to attack Thanos. Additionally, he was able to craft a sword from Eldritch Magic that he used to engage the Titan alongside Drax. Strange was able to imbue one of Peter's web-shooters with Eldritch Magic, thus allowing the web-shooters to fire webs of Eldritch Magic that teleported them to the cells in the dungeon. Strange was also able to go intangible by surrounding himself in an aura of Eldritch magic to escape the dungeon after Peter put him into it. He can also create other weapons like a saw to cut through a bus thrown by Gargantos as well as use the musical notes on sheet music to throw at Sinister Strange.
- Time Manipulation: Using the Eye of Agamotto, Strange could control the flow of time or be it on a small or massive scale, notably to turn back something to a previous state, accelerating its time in order to apply changes that have not happened yet, or to lock in a time loop, with time resetting over and over until he stops its effect. Despite having safely and effectively handled the Time Stone's powers, Strange still concluded that he was not ready to use it liberally yet and decided to return it until he was ready to use it again. By the time of the Infinity War, it seems that Strange has mastered the Time Stone's powers, as he was confident he can use it safely in battle. Apparently seeing that the only future that led to victory involved the Snap taking place first as well as Iron Man's survival, Strange willingly surrendered the Time Stone to Thanos in exchange for sparing Iron Man's life, losing the ability to use it. He first tested the ability on an apple, rewinding time on it to make it whole and then forwarding time to make it rot, despite not actually eating it to that point beforehand. If interrupted while using this ability, time freezes until he resumes the spell. He even used it to make a reconstruction of the stolen pages of the Book of Cagliostro and read from it, though he seemed to be unable to make the page real and only could reveal what had been there before. Strange notably used the ability to trap Dormammu himself in a temporal loop, which would reset each time he killed Strange, keeping Dormammu from leaving his dimension to invade Earth until he agreed to leave Earth for good.
- Parachronal Cognition: He was able to use the Eye of Agamotto to peer into various futures just like the Ancient One did, so as to gain insight into all the results of the upcoming conflict against Thanos and his ferocious crusade. Strange saw that there was only one future where he and his allies won while over 14 million more was that they lost against Thanos. Seeing all the scenarios for how the Infinity War could end required him to exert an immense amount of energy, as he had to physically live them and then die in each one and right before he dies he has to reset and repeat, and took notes as he went.
- Darkhold Magic: In order to stop the Scarlet Witch while in another universe, Strange was forced to use that universe's Darkhold, despite knowing the risks. The use of this caused the Souls of the Damned to come for Strange, but they were fought off by Christine Palmer using the Brazier of Bom'Galiath.
- Dreamwalking: With the Darkhold, Strange dreamwalked into his alternate self's corpse, which was laying in a roof. Strange used an Inter-Dimensional Portal to get to the Wundagore Mountain. He was then attacked by Souls of the Damned, but was skilled enough to use them and make wings. He then flew over to the Darkhold Castle and fought Scarlet Witch. However, he was no match for her and had to talk America Chavez into defeating her.
Where did you learn the litany of spells required to even understand it?"
"I've got a photographic memory. It's how I got my M.D. and Ph.D. at the same time.Karl Mordo and Doctor Strange
- Genius-Level Intellect: Strange has a photographic memory and perfect recall had originally greatly aided him in medical school, helping him to earn both his M.D. and Ph.D. simultaneously, going on to become one of the world's most renowned neurosurgeons, and later proving himself equally prodigious in the study of mystic arts. During his mystic arts studies in Kamar-Taj, Strange managed to master entering the Astral Dimension, despite Wong not believing him to be ready. When Strange used the Eye of Agamotto to restore the missing pages from the Book of Cagliostro, he only saw the page for about 15 seconds, but was able to learn about Dormammu, the Dark Dimension, and the ritual for eternal life as well as work out the ritual and deduce how the Ancient One has remained alive for so long. He proved to be capable of intellectually sparring with Tony Stark and Thanos.
No one could have done better."
"I could have done better.Christine Palmer and Doctor Strange
- Master Physician: Strange was one of the world's most renowned neurosurgeons. His genius surgical skill allowed him to flawlessly perform extremely complicated surgeries with little to no mechanical assistance. Indeed, Strange's skills were superior to those of his colleagues Christine Palmer and Nicodemus West, as he was able to notice a cause of injury in a patient while neither of them could, thus preventing West from killing the patient. Strange's perfect record and reputation with the craft reached such a point that ultimately, he developed a penchant for undertaking only the most challenging but still viable of operations, in order to boost his huge ego. Despite losing the ability to perform surgeries after his hands were damaged beyond repair in a catastrophic car accident, Strange still kept his profound medical knowledge, which allowed him to give out directions to Palmer and West during surgery on the Ancient One. During his surgical career, Strange was able to develop entirely new techniques for performing highly complicated surgical procedures that he claimed would significantly advance medical practices for years to come. Strange was even able to perform surgery during the extremely stressful Battle of New York.
- Expert Tactician: Strange's tremendous intellect contributes to his already incredible tactical insight. A highly ingenious strategist, Strange relied on pure wits to stop both Kaecilius and Dormammu himself due to his lack of experience in fighting supernatural forces. He used the Eye of Agamotto to trap the primordial entity in an endless time loop while using tactics of psychological warfare to mentally torment Dormammu instead of stopping him with magic and, as a result, ultimately succeeded in forcing his foe back into the Dark Dimension, taking the Zealots along with him.
- Master Martial Artist: After studying under the guidance of the Ancient One and training with Karl Mordo for months, Strange became proficient in martial arts, both armed and hand-to-hand combat, with his skill being great enough to allow him to fight off and evade many of the far more experienced and extensively trained Zealots sorcerers attacks while trying to escape the New York Sanctum, overpower and kill Lucian Aster, and even managing to hold his own against Kaecilius himself reasonably well, with Strange notably managing to fight Kaecilius almost to a standstill in their last altercation by using the reconstructing landscape of Hong Kong to his advantage, although he was ultimately overpowered and only defeated Kaecilius by outsmarting him rather than defeating him in pure skill. Eventually, as he further practiced and trained, by the time of the Infinity War, Strange's skill and experience in fighting had improved significantly to the point that with help from Drax, Strange was even able to fight against Thanos himself in close-quarters combat, lasting longer than Drax, although Thanos only had the use of one eye due to the other being blinded by a webbed cotton and is quick to overwhelm Strange soon after beating back Drax. However, Strange's hands still suffer from severe nerve and bone damage as a result of his accident, further exacerbated by the unsuccessful surgeries made towards restoring his dexterity, meaning his hands are delicate and prone to intense pain should he attempt to directly strike something or someone, thus leading his technique to consist mainly of a combination of parries and the use of spells. During his fight with an alternate Karl Mordo, he proved himself capable of blocking, dodging and countering his attacks as well as effectively landing his own when neither one of them were using their magic, despite his hands still being injured. Strange is also proficient with weapons, as he wielded an Eldritch sword against Thanos and threw a conjured axe to chop off one of Gargantos' tentacles.
- Whip Mastery: Strange was able to form Eldritch Whips which he used in various ways. He was able to pull back Thanos with the whips as well as attacking Gargantos.
- Bilingualism: Strange is fluent in his native English, and becomes proficient enough with Sanskrit during his months in Kamar-Taj to enable him to study advanced books Wong deemed him not ready for, including the Book of Cagliostro.
- Cloak of Levitation: A mantle that enables Doctor Strange to levitate and hover in the air. It appears to be sentient and can move on its own power, causing it to move and flap in the air without the presence of wind. Offensively, the cloak's ability to move and fly with or without a wearer allows it to grab, lift, tackle or send enemies flying through the air. The cloak assists Strange in combat by protecting him from attacks, preventing his enemies like Lucian Aster and Thanos from blindsiding him, as well as attacking enemies on its own whenever possible, and doing maneuvers that are difficult for most humans to do.
- Sling Ring: A mystical object which enables the wearer to open a portal to another location.
- Eye of Agamotto: An ancient relic with a number of mystical properties, especially time manipulation in the user's immediate vicinity and on specific areas or targets. Originally the containment vessel for the Time Stone, it was still worn by Strange following the Stone's destruction.
You don't know how to use that, do you?Kaecilius to Doctor Strange
- Brazier of Bom'Galiath: During his battle with Kaecilius in the New York Sanctum, Strange found himself overpowered and grabbed the first weapon he could find which was the Brazier of Bom'Galiath, only for Kaecilius to call him out on his lack of knowledge about it, resulting in Strange simply throwing it.
- Rotunda of Gateways: During his fight with Kaecilius and his Zealots in the New York Sanctum, Strange used the Rotunda of Gateways he had found earlier, to trap one of the Zealots in the desert and the other, Lucian Aster, in the jungle, leaving only himself and Kaecilius to continue fighting throughout the Sanctum.
- Crimson Bands of Cyttorak: While fighting Kaecilius, Strange was advised by the Cloak of Levitation to use a suit of armor attached to the wall. Although initially skeptical that they would have any benefit, Strange relented and threw the armor at Kaecilius, who became entrapped in the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, ending their fight although Kaecilius was later able to escape.
- Cauldron of the Cosmos: Stationed in the main hallway of the New York Sanctum was the Cauldron of the Cosmos, which the Cloak of Levitation stopped Tony Stark from disrespectfully leaning against.
- Time Stone: Upon taking the role of one of the Masters of the Mystic Arts, Strange was vowed to protect one of the Infinity Stones housed within the Eye of Agamotto. Initially unaware of its true power, Strange experimented with the Stone to rot and grow back an apple, before using it to undo Kaecilius' attempt to destroy Hong Kong before trapping Dormammu into a time loop which he was unable to escape from. As Strange prepared to battle Thanos, he used the Stone to see into the future in an attempt to find any possible way they could be victorious in their clash against the Mad Titan. Strange was later forced to give Thanos the Time Stone to save Tony Stark.
- Darkhold: Strange used Darkhold from Sinister Strange's reality, to take over Defender Strange corpse, wanting to save America Chavez from Scarlet Witch. He was attacked by demons, because taking control over corpse is forbidden, but thankfully to Christine Palmer they didn't harm him. After Wanda destroyed the book throughout the Multiverse, he left alternate Strange's corpse and returned to his own body. However, after a while it was found that the Darkhold had left a mark on him, a third eye on his forehead.
- Lamborghini Huracán: Strange used to own and drive a Lamborghini Huracán, however, while he was driving to one of his speaking events, Strange became distracted by Billy's descriptions of a potential patient and lost control. Strange would drive his car off a hill as a result, destroying the car, and crushing his hands during the impact.
- Q-Ship: After the Attack on Greenwich Village, Ebony Maw took Strange to the Q-Ship in order to extract the Time Stone from the Eye of Agamotto and deliver it to Thanos on Titan. However, Iron Man and Spider-Man rescued Strange by sending Maw to the vaccum of space, killing him. Strange eventually agreed to use the Q-Ship to confront Thanos on Titan and used a protection spell to prevent it from crash-landing to its destination.
- Metro-General Hospital: After graduating, Stephen Strange started working in the ER at Metro-General Hospital. At this hospital, he met Christine Palmer who he became very close with. He then worked as a successful neurosurgeon until early 2016. On the night of February 2nd, 2016, he got a call from his friend Billy while driving. His friend gave him potential patients to treat. This conversation caused Strange to get distracted from the road and drive into another car, making him to spin out of control. Having severe nerve damage in his hands, he was picked up by a helicopter and brought back to Metro-General where he then spent months recovering.
- Stephen Strange's Apartment: Due to being a successful neurosurgeon, Strange was able to buy a very luxurious apartment in New York City overlooking many skyscrapers.
- Kamar-Taj: With many failures to heal his hands, Strange went to go see Jonathan Pangborn, a former patient with paralysis, Pangborn quickly mentioned how Strange refused to see him for treatment. Strange stated that he was untreatable. He then asked how he was able to heal his broken spine. Pangborn said that he went to a place called Kamar-Taj. After spending the last of his money to get there, Strange met the Ancient One. She taught him that Kamar-Taj was not a normal place, it is the home of sorcerers and magic. She explained how Pangborn uses magic to let himself walk and Strange can do the same. For many months Stephen trained and studied to become a good sorcerer, he quickly made friends with other sorcerers like Karl Mordo and Wong.
- New York Sanctum: The Zealots and Kaecilius attacked the New York Sanctum and killed it's master, Daniel Drumm. Doctor Strange fought off the sanctum alone and trapped Kaecilius for a short time until he was freed by his Zealot. The Ancient One then gave Strange the title Master of the New York Sanctum. In 2018, Bruce Banner suddenly crashed through the roof of the sanctum and exclaimed that Thanos was coming. Doctor Strange and Wong then tracked down Tony Stark and brought him to the sanctum to discuss the new threat that has emerged. Hearing commotion outside, the group took to the streets to stop Ebony Maw's attack on New York. Following the Battle of Earth, Strange returned to being the master of the Sanctum Sanctorum. While Strange had been a candidate for Sorcerer Supreme before he had been turned to dust, Wong had become the Sorcerer Supreme in his absence.
- Darkhold Castle: To be added
|Appearances for Doctor Strange|
In chronological order:
- In the comics, Stephen Strange was the founder and long-time leader of the Defenders, a member of the New Avengers and one of the Illuminati, a group made of the smartest and most powerful individuals, including Blackagar Boltagon, Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, Medusa, Hank Pym, and T'Challa.
- As a result of his confrontation with Dormammu in the Dark Dimension, Strange has officially died more times than any other character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Strange is a fan of Pink Floyd.
- Doctor Strange in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is the second live-action incarnation of the character, following an incarnation portrayed by Peter Hooten.
- As Strange was previously mentioned in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Kevin Feige revealed that Strange did not have any powers yet, as Project Insight was designed to anticipate future threats, not just catalog current ones. He said that at this point Strange is "probably not...the sorcerer supreme," but is an "unbelievably talented neurosurgeon who's opinionated and kind of arrogant...[which] might put him on the list."
- Aaron Lazar was a body double for Benedict Cumberbatch in Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame due to the latter having scheduling conflicts with The Current War.
- Doctor Strange was considered to physically appear in the series finale of WandaVision, where it would be revealed that all the commercials seen in the show were messages from Strange attempting to reach Wanda Maximoff. However, his planned appearance was discarded in order to keep the focus on Maximoff.
- Joaquin Phoenix, Colin Farrell, Jake Gyllenhaal, Tom Hardy, Ethan Hawke, Jack Huston, Oscar Isaac, Jared Leto, Matthew McConaughey, Ewan McGregor, Keanu Reeves, Justin Theroux, Jon Hamm, Johnny Depp, Ryan Gosling, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt were all considered for Stephen Strange; Gyllenhaal was later cast in Spider-Man: Far From Home as the similarly themed Mysterio.
- Justin Eaton, Trevor Habberstad, George Kirby, Leo Woodruff, Martin De Boer, Lloyd Pitts, Andy Lister and Bogdan Kumsackij were stunt doubles for Benedict Cumberbatch in the role of Doctor Strange.
- Peter Alberti and Trevor Powers were stand-ins for Benedict Cumberbatch in the role of Doctor Strange.
- Michael Chase was a double for Benedict Cumberbatch in the role of Doctor Strange.
- Doctor Strange
- Thor: Ragnarok
- Avengers: Infinity War
- Avengers: Endgame
- Spider-Man: No Way Home
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
- Avengers: Infinity War Prelude
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- WHiH Newsfront: 2.04: WHIH Newsfront Exclusive: President Ellis Discusses the Avengers
- Doctor Strange Deleted Scene
- Doctor Strange: Mystic Apprentice
- Doctor Strange Mid-credits Scene
- Avengers: Endgame Prelude
- The Russo Brothers Answer Avengers: Endgame Questions From Twitter | Tech Support | WIRED
- Joe Russo's Q&A about the plot of Avengers: Endgame in China
- The Empire Spoiler Special Film Podcast/Empire Spoiler Specials: Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness Interview Special ft. Richie Palmer & Michael Waldron
- Avengers: Endgame Deleted Scene
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Mid-credits Scene
- Russo Brothers reveal devastating way Doctor Strange saw those 14 million Endgame outcomes
- Kevin Feige Interview: Captain America, The Avengers 2 and Doctor Strange
- This Cumberbatch body-double is basically a Cumber-twin
- Doctor Strange Was Written Out of WandaVision
- The Oral History of ‘WandaVision’
|Master of New York Sanctum
2017 – 2018; 2023 - Present